Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by JoeLIRR

Since the Excursion on April 17,1999 I recall that C66 was Spotted in a hole track in holban and is still there.

Does any one know if the hack is still owned by the LIRR, or Friends of 35inc?

also, any one know info on the other hacks that are there with it?

by Long island Joe

by JoeLIRR

from what i herd the hack hack has been pushed further down the hole track from the location that LIJoe posted.
  by dukeoq

I Hope no one trys to paint his LIRR hack in these colors if they are modeling the '60s.
Close, but definitely NO CIGAR

by JoeLIRR

I would like to know whats going on with C66 as well as all the other hacks that i beleive are still at holban.
are they being used by the LIRR?
If Yes then for what?

If No will the LIRR possibly sell or donate this hack or any of the others?

is there any hope at all in seeing C-66, and the rest of the hacks in holban and the Hacks in riverhead put in a train for a railfan only excursion.

by Lupo 10

There's always hope for anything. Without hope RMLI, Friends of 35 and Twin Forks might as well stop working. There's always hope :-)

by Dave Keller

Yeah, Joe . . .

I've been married 23+ years and I'm STILL hoping! :wink:

Dave Keller
  by alcoAL

On the subject of hacks, I was making a list of preserved LIRR hacks & found the LIRR caboose roster compiled by Dave Keller. The info on #51 shows it as LIRR property, but I found a link showing it at the Boy Scout Camp in Wading River (old Camp Wauwepex). Anybody have any info on when this caboose went to the camp & who might have painted it?

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrcabooseroster.htm

http://www.billcotter.com/onteora/wauwepex-tour-3.htm

by emfinite

C-51 is currently on LIRR property at the Babylon team yard off the Central branch. I think the hack that is on the camp's website is C-57? I grabbed this shot on January 18th of 51:

by Lupo 10

Yes, C-57 is the one at the boy scout camp.

by alcoAL

Thanks for the correction on #57. I never actually saw it, only from the web photo which looked like 51.

Oddly enough #51 is right in my backyard. I'll have to stop by there one day this week & take a look.

by LIRR-35

HACKS...I love Hacks!!! Okay, here is what I know.

#66 is currently stored serviceable at Holban Yard. There are no actual plans for it, thought the Friends of Locomotive #35 requested it some years ago. The railroad stated (unofficially of course) that when it is deemed surplus, FOL35 are welcome to it. When will that be...who knows.

#66 was mistakenly shipped to Blue Ridge Rail Restoration i Roanoke,VA some years ago in lieu of another hack that was to be disposed of. That group also owns two other LIRR hacks as well as a balloon roof LIRR baggage car. Anyway, the group was asked to return the hack since the LIRR still wanted it. Blue Ridge restored and modified the hack as a car for the president of the LIRR to ride in complete with carpeting, additional windows, comfy seats and an undercar generator. It was repainted as you see it now and returned. If one looks on the ends of the body next to the door, you will see writing to note same. It was never used for it's intended purpose, instead spending several years tucked away in Morris Park. It did see limited service on work trains, but crews started messing it up, so it now sits.
  by dukeoq

Boy!!! :(
I wish they would have done something like that when I was conductor on the YFD201 at Holban.
When we needed a hack, it was whatever was available.
Oh! well. :wink:
It's been a good ten years without ANY hack. :P

by John 61

Here's two photos.( click on link) One of # 51 a couple of years ago and one of #66 in Yard A from 1988. I took many photos of the LIRR hacks during the 80's and never saw # 66 out on the road. The only place I ever saw it was this day at Yard A.http://members.tripod.com/lirr_nya_photos/id12.html

by SeldenJrFireman

Here's a picture of my Hack:

This is my one and only LIRR Engine:

Mike