• Gum ban at stations

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by mgdemarco2

Lets just hope NJT doesn't ban drinking on its trains.
  by TuckertonRR

actually, I'd be in favor of no drinking on trains (at least on the shorter lines, anyway) the River Line is already getting MFL-like in some people who cant wait to open a can of something...usually beer. Invariably, they drop/spill it. This ain't the cafe car, now! Come on!

by pdman

I spend a lot of time in Singapore on business. The first fine for chewing gum is S$50 (about US$30). There are similar public signs and fines for urinating in elevators and littering. The second fine is much, much more. The third time is mean jail. You also see signs that say "Death to drugs." There are few appeals. You can walk the streets at 1:00am in safety.

I left my wallet at a money changer's counter once. Back at my hotel as I was talking with the hotel security people, I got a phone call from someone who found my wallet. They apologized for looking inside it in order to find my name. They then contacted immigration at the airport to find out what hotel I put on my inbound immigration form. They were again very apologetic when I went to get it back. Now, would that happen in, say, Newark?

Over the causeway in Jahore Barhu in Malaysia, many stores only sell gum by the case.
  by ryanov

ALL eating and drinking is already banned on the RiverLINE, which is one reason that (if it were enforced), I'd be tempted to take SEPTA instead.

by Jersey_Mike

I'd be quite happy to enforce a "NO GUM" ban - you would be amazed the places people like to put gum when they get done with it. On the hidden side of grab irons, on door control panels, seats, doors, floors, handrails, etc...............gum is SUCH a mess sometimes. You would also be amazed how many times since ive worked here, I've gotten gum on my backside!!! And of course, this always happens on the first trip, so now I'm walking around with gum on my butt all day!!!!!
Thanks! Now I know of some ways I can litterally "stick it" to NJT for their Photo Ban. In fact this could work with any evil organization.

by pdman

When Conrail ran the NJ commuter lines it started to sell liquor by the drink on the rush hour evening trains. It made a lot of money. Passengers were of three types: about a third loved it, about half didn't notice nor care, and about a a sixth didn't like it and avoided the cars where it was sold and consumed. It was sold by part timers who were on commission. They usually got one ride per day out to Dover, Gladstone, Summit, Red Bank, New Brunswick, or Raritan.

When NJT took over the service, Martin Garelick, the first head of NJT Rail abolished it within a week. He was primarily worried about liability of drunks getting into their cars after getting out of the trains.

by Urban D Kaye

And now another episode of "Prison Conversations of the Future"...

"I'm doin twenny to life."

"What for? You kill your landlord?"

"Naw, I chewed gum on NJT."

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

by sullivan1985

You'll definatly get thrown off moving trains if they catch you with one of those huge 50 packs of gum.

This is a simulated occurance if I was ever caught on a train with a pack...

http://www.deviantart.com/view/8818119/

Another thing i put together in photoshop in about 20.356 seconds...

by njt5140

Gum on trains...the fine: hanging from a crosstie atop Dock bridge, or having to ride with Raritan's "talking head" for a round trip!

by dickencidya

Whats next? First gum.... well then they better go after those people that sell coffee as that is usually steaming hot, and if you put sugar in it its sticly as well... so is any soft drink with sugar in it.... Once again, i guess someone has to save us from ourselves.... I wanna see the first conductor/ticket collector try and take gum away from someone..... but just don't take a picture of them trying to do it or you'll be behind bars for sure.....