Railroad Forums 

• Grove class sleeping car plans

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#21170  by jebradley

Have any HO Plans ever been published for the Grove Class 10-5 sleeping cars? I'd like to model one but need to get the correct cross section for the curved sides. How about HO plans for the "matching" smooth side coaches CPR had - the curved cross section should be about the same, no?
Need the citation for the source of the plans, if any. Thanks !
James E. Bradley Hawk Mountain Chapter N.R.H.S.

#22979  by Montreal Ltd

I don't recall whether plans have been published. I've seen only folio drawings, which are not to scale but have dimension marked on them. If you have a scale cross section of the coaches built in the early or late 1940's, it will be same as the Grove sleepers. Don't base the sleepers on the first coaches built in the 1930's as they were lower and had different dimensions.

#23055  by missthealcos

Are you aware that these cars are available comercially? All of the curved side cars are avialable. The kits build up VERY nicely.

#23186  by Montreal Ltd

I've seen them in HO. No good to me in N unfortunately...
 #46430  by cpr_trains

jebradley wrote:Have any HO Plans ever been published for the Grove Class 10-5 sleeping cars? I'd like to model one but need to get the correct cross section for the curved sides. How about HO plans for the "matching" smooth side coaches CPR had - the curved cross section should be about the same, no?
Need the citation for the source of the plans, if any. Thanks !
James E. Bradley Hawk Mountain Chapter N.R.H.S.
These cars have been at least thrice-produced for the model railroad market, twice accurately and once not.

For floor plan information, the best you'll find is the link to the CP Sig folio above or the Wilson Book "From Abby to Zorra via Bagdad", which I quoted to someone else in the CP forum. Also, Volume #2, I believe, of the Canadian Rail Passenger Review - (I'll have to check when I'm home to be certain on the correct Volume #) - has an article that deals with the history and disposition of the Grove-series cars.

The most accurate models on the market are as follows:

First Van Hobbies released a set of brass smoothside, lightweight passenger cars some time ago. They appear from time to time at various hobby shops and model RR shows and can often be snagged at a good price, especially if someone did a lousy paint job.

Second, Norwest Kits and Castings of Vancouver, BC has for some time now been producing the lightweight streamlined equipment once used by CP. Their Grove-series sleepers are not yet released but it is in the works, and their resin models of this type to date are accurate.

Riverossi did release a run of smoothside passenger equipment, painted in Via rail colours and labeled in the Grove-series. They're unfortunately not accurate as they were scrapped long before the inception of VIA some 25 years ago and they're not the proper length and configuration, and don't have the classic rounded lines.

Finally, for decals, whether you scratch build or not, the best and most accurate are made by Black Cat out of Winnipeg, MB. They produce a set for both the tuscan red scheme as well as the stainless-steel livery that was used to better match this equipment with the Budd equipment during the late 1960s.