Railroad Forums 

• Greenville Yards on JC Waterfront

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1060508  by carajul

Is what's left of the Greenville Yard along the waterfront in JC still in use? I was looking at pics of it in the 70s and it was still a large operation. Present day live maps show a few tracks. The car floats look like they are ready to collapse, but there is a switch engine and a tug boat that appear to be in use.
 #1060661  by Sir Ray

Quite a bit of the Greenville yard is in use, for general switching of local industries, for Tropicana, and for floating operations to Brooklyn on the NYNJ. The Port Authority has plans to revamp and expand the yard (the PA brought out the Port Jersey railroad a few years back) - I believe we have a thread on that somewhere on the board with yard expansion plans.
 #1060662  by SecaucusJunction

Isn't that the area that is going to become the major NYC trash to rail hauling facility sometime next year?
 #1061562  by ccutler

I think Manhattan is the only borough that doesn't ship its trash out by train. If someone knows otherwise please correct me. NYC has a crazy plan to spend $500MM on a trash to barge transfer station around 90th street on the east river to export Manhattan's garbage, while destroying local property values and having garbage trucks run over small children on their way to school. Currently the trash is trucked about 20 miles to Newark where it is sensibly incinerated and produces electricity.
 #1061629  by R36 Combine Coach

Staten Island waste travels out via CSX over the Arthur Kill lift bridge. (Brooklyn has a rail transfer station in East Williamsburg served by NYA, which transfer to CSX out of state) The 91 Street transfer station, as it is known has been delayed due to opposition from City Council and local community groups.

Most NYC waste heading south passes through NJ at some point - via CSX on the West Trenton and River Lines.
 #1061749  by carajul

Based on arial photos, Id say there is not much left of the yard at all. Most of it has been built on with an industrial park. There are 4 tracks going to the river. But only 1 float in operation. The other 5 floats are defunct. And the building things above the floats have collapsed. The arials even in the 70s show a huge yard 200 tracks wide.
 #1633744  by joeyA

Hello, l just joined up. I’m trying to find the scanner frequency for the Staten Island waste freight train. I’m picking up what is the chemical coast not sure if this is correct. Thankyou for any info.
 #1633788  by pumpers

Not sure if this is the right thread for traffic from Staten Island. I,m no expert, but when the Arthur Kill bridge came back from the dead, maybe 25 years ago, they tied it in to the Chemical Coast, and all bridge traffic goes that way . So the chemical coast scanner channel is a good bet. Regarding this thread, I would be surprised if the AK bridge traffic got anywhere near Greenville yard, meaning on that side of Newark Bay.
JS
 #1634039  by AceMacSD

As pampers said they're two different places. Greenville container terminal is in Jersey city Howland hook's in Staten Island. If you're asking the garbage from SI, the CR S Jersey dispatcher'll be the one to listen for. Our crews sometimes go to other channels when working across the Kill.