Railroad Forums 

• Greenport Branch Track Work Effective February 26

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#366738  by de402

AmtrakPhill629 wrote:Ive ridden that branch before and its not that many passengers that ride it and the people who were on the train camplained alot about the service.

yeah i have an idea... lets just end rail service anywhere.. because people only use it during weekdays.. and just complain. wow.. that's great.

residents pay taxes (mortgage recording, telephone, fees etc) and those taxes go to the NYS MTA. They are supposed to go back into the system and its about time that the entire infrastructure system be rehabbed. Plain and simple and after being neglected for the past 40 something years its about time. Maybe when my kids are my age there will be a third train plying the rails east of KO... maybe.

#366818  by peconicstation

AmtrakPhill629 wrote:why do track work on the Greenport Branch its just a waste of time and effort.
I am attempting to keep this civil, and as a 24/7 resident of the North Fork I take personal issue with a ignorant statement like this.

First, as with any resident of a county served by commuter rail, I pay the same extra mortgage recording tax, and other surcharges that people pay everywhere else in the region. Further the East End as a collective region is one of the few growth areas on Long Island, it is not my fault that the LIRR has so far, refused to provide schedules on either fork
that would generate strong, daily, year round ridership.

As I will always repeat, if there was no real demand for services on the North Fork, Hampton Jitney would not have spent $15 million to buy out the line route and charter business of Sunrise Express. Even in the time period, the supposed "dead time" here on the North Fork HJ is running twice the daily service that Sunrise was providing just one year ago.
YET, we do not need more busses on our local roads, we need more LIRR service. LIRR service has a number of inherant benefits over HJ, including not needing reservations, unlimited cell phone use, cheaper fares, yet the LIRR has done NOTHING to promote it's service nor make ANY attempt to compete with HJ.

As for the track work on the Greenport Branch, perhaps, and I stress perhaps, the LIRR is realizing the potential ridership that exists here (year round, 2nd home owner, day tripper, and vacationer). After all last summer when the Friday extra train had to be "bustituted" for a couple of weeks owing to equipment shortgages, the LIRR claimed to be shocked that a single bus could not handle the crowds waiting at KO.

and finally, as for a remark made about people complaining about the service, HELLO, we are New Yorkers, we complain about everything.

Ken

#367054  by Spartan Phalanx

Plus, there is always more potential freight business for the NYA east, (and west, for that matter) of Ronkonkoma. Upgrading the tracks is a benefit in more ways than one.

#367446  by pineywoodsman

Who is doing the Bustitution? Is it LI Bus?

#367513  by peconicstation

pineywoodsman wrote:Who is doing the Bustitution? Is it LI Bus?
It is probally being contracted to Coastal Charter, the same company that the LIRR used last summer to offer extra bus service from KO to Tanger/Splish Splash, and the Orient Ferry, and in 2005 this was the company they used during a late summer early fall track work program.

This is the same company that attempted to run a NYC to Orient Bus Service under the name "North Fork Express", but quickly went into a melt down mode with broken down busses, malfunctioning heat and a/c, and unkept (Dirty) interiors.

Stay tuned................

Ken
 #367574  by henry6

I have ridden to Greenport twice in the past several years, once in summer, the second just a few weeks ago. The summer train was fuller but I was surprised (and would have been even more surprised if I read the comments here first) how may did ride in winter...one coach more than half full in and out of Ronkonkoma with about a dozen in and out of Greenport!

#367818  by kuzzel540

On Saturdays at 12:36 pm, it's sitting in Greenport in between runs.

#367969  by peconicstation

AmtrakPhill629 wrote:Was this train the Greenport Scoot I took this photo in Valley Stream last saturday at 12:36 pm.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2357456 ... 9992NJinDu
The 2 car diesel that you see in your pic is either a Patchogue, or Speonk train, or equipment for such. On weekends most Patchogue services run as Babylon-Patchogue "scoots", as do some Speonk trains.

Even in the dead of winter most weekend Jamaica - Montauk trains run with 3 to 4 cars.

The "Greenport Scoots" run from Ronkonkoma to Greenport, Riverhead, or Yaphank and they layover in KO, they only run west of KO when they are swapped out for service.

Ken
 #368824  by jhdeasy

peconicstation wrote:It was discussed in the thread about Mattituck that ties are being dropped along the Greenport Branch in preparation for track work.

Ken
Is the line to Greenport still designated as the MAIN LINE of the LIRR?

I see the NY MTA LIRR website uses the term Greenport Branch for the timetables.

#368874  by Srnumber9

These days. the "Greenport Branch" is mostly called the "Mainline" by rail history fans, left over from the days when it was the way to get to Boston, not Greenport. The fact that it was built for this purpose means that at the time it was built it came nowhere near the populated areas of the Island of that time which were on the shores, but ran right down the middle where it was straight and flat. Successful construction of a line along the Connecticut Shore basically left it a line to nowhere, or maybe a line through nowhere. It took a long time before new towns and industry grew along it and gave it a reason for being.

It hasn't been a more important line than the others for more than a century.

#368959  by bluebelly

Srnumber9 wrote:These days. the "Greenport Branch" is mostly called the "Mainline" by rail history fans, left over from the days when it was the way to get to Boston, not Greenport...

I think you have that backwards. The LIRR and it's employees call it the Mainline, it is non employees who refer to it as the "Greenport Branch"

A quick look at the the current employee Timetable will verify that , "Mainline" is, and as far as I know always has been, the official LIRR desgination of the branch. It is refered to as "Mainline" in the Timetable Station Pages as well as the Special Instructions and all General Notices that refer it. On the LIRR (and I assume other Railroads) if it is in the Timetable it is law. The only time the the RR refers to it as the Greenport Branch is in puplications that are meant for use by the public such as Passengers Schedules

#368983  by Srnumber9

In that case it's good to know they still have a sense of their heritage.

The whole thing got me to thinking: is it still possible to take the LIRR on a trip to Boston? It turns out that Suffolk Bus will get you from the Greenport station to the Orient Ferry. Amtrak runs from New London to Boston too!

After that it's a matter of getting all the schedules to mesh.

#369173  by peconicstation

On a related note, the Scoot did not run this morning, it was "bustituted"
due to "equipment trouble". Whatever the equipment trouble was, the dead run did not pass Peconic, so it eihter died en route or was dead at KO.

Anyone know what happened?

Ken