Railroad Forums 

• Got a conditional offer of employment from the UP!!!!!

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#140448  by maverick28

I went for a hiring session yesterday (Thursday) and got the job offer yesterday. I'm really excited to get started. Training starts on July 11. UP was supposed to hire 5 out of the 20 of us in the hiring session. When I came back to the hotel this morning to do all the paperwork they had hired 11. I couldn't believe it. All I have to do now is get my physical done and I should be ready to start training.

#140459  by charlie6017

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D

Best wishes in your new career!

#140496  by slchub

Good Going.

Best of luck. Now when you get to class the first day, do not be overwhelmed by the foot tall stack of books, safety vest, gloves, etc. Get together with a few guys in class, and get a study group going every night before your quizes and finals. UP has an 85% passing on the finals. You get one chance to re-take, then it is back to the old job you just left. If you study diligently, not overcram the stuff, but study, you'll do fine. I think most people find the air brake rules the hardest final.

Good luck, and pratice 1.1.1 as well as 1.11.1

#140508  by GN_RS-3

Good for you, and Congrats! That's no small feat, as UP is VERY selective!

#140741  by hooked up

Best Wishes maverick28!! Where are you hiring on? How soon does your training start? Now that the shoe is on the other foot, any advice that you could throw out to those of us who have tried (and so far failed) to do what you have done would be most welcome! :wink: I hope your railroading career is everything you hope it will be.

#140874  by maverick28

I'll be working out of North Platte, Ne. Training starts on 7/11. I won't know about the training schedule until the first day of class. I can you posted as to whats going on.