Railroad Forums 

• Google Earth maps

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#1191483  by CPSK

Hi;
I am working with Google Earth to create "poly-lines" for Trainz sim. I create the routes using paths in GE, then import the .kmz files into TrainzDem with the DEMs downloaded from USGS, and finally create Trainz map files.
I am impressed with the quality of imagery in GE, showing not only the tracks, but switches, stations, etc. But I have a question here: how does Google Earth draw the railroad tracks on the maps? It seems obvious that the tracks shown are not the actual railroad tracks on the ground, but are enhanced by some sort of algorithm that detects what looks like rail or road, and draws a representation on the map. There is a good example in the area I am working on at present - Reading PA. There is a line running between Reading and Pottstown which is double-tracked. One of the tracks is wider on the map than the other! Unless the image was taken at an oblique angle, it is not possible see two tracks only feet apart with such a large discrepancy in width. So I am sure that what the camera actually captured has been enhanced to make it more clear on the map.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

FW
 #1193462  by Kilgore Trout

As it turns out, it's hard to try to recognize things from aerial images, but very easy to throw people at the problem. Google employs approximately 7000 people on maps alone, on the core mapping products and also the local teams who drive the Street View cars, add local places, draw roads, etc.

That said, it's possible that the tracks in your area were drawn incorrectly. If the same error shows up on the Google Maps website you should be able to report it from there.