Railroad Forums 

• Goodbye Miss Phoebe

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#326498  by jmp883

I was just going through the newest Morning Sun EL Book (Vol. #6) when I came to pages 84 and 85. On those 2 pages were 4 photos of the last westbound run of the Phoebe Snow, 11/27/66. While it's not a happy anniversary, and it's definitely not a birthday I just thought someone should post something here remembering her passing. After all it's been 40 years since Miss Phoebe's last run.

BTW-in November of 1966 I was just 2 months past my 2nd birthday! :wink:

#326789  by Aa3rt

Ken-thanks for the timely post!

My only trip on the Phoebe Snow had been earlier in that summer of 1966, I was 13 at the time.

My maternal grandparents lived in Jamestown, NY and took my parents, younger brother and me on a day trip from Jamestown east to Corning, NY where we detrained and took a cab to the Corning Glass Works for a tour. Later that afternoon we took the afternoon train back to Jamestown.
The return trip included my only pre-Amtrak dining car experience.

I still have a couple of black and white photos of the train that day including one of a C&O sleeper in the Phoebe's consist.

As Bob Hope used to croon "Thanks for the memories!"
 #1596782  by Gilbert B Norman

I must wonder if the photo The Late Mr. Audley noted was an NKP Sleeper instead of a C&O?

Both roads had ownership of the same style of car; a Pullman-Standard also owned by the B&O. The IC also had same, but minus the sheathing.

All roads leased their cars to the Pullman Company, so I cannot rule out Mr. Audley's observation.

Miss Phoebe did handle a Hoboken-Chicago line, which of course was interchanged at Lackawanna Terminal, Buffalo to the NKP City of Chicago. A fellow I knew at Boarding School who resided in Painesville OH did ride such and noted to me the reversal of direction.

Must say I'm surprised this then 14yo kid, from a wealthy family (all I need do is look at the "heavy hitters" in the School's Donor Rolls, and there he is as well as his family's foundation. I'm there too, but WAAAY down in the Troposphere) had not been overseas and noted how common such was - especially with many Wagon-Lit lines.

By the time I got to ride Miss Phoebe during March '60, that line was gone.

Finally, to address Mr. Photobug's immediate:
Says Phoebe Snow
about to go
upon a trip to Buffalo
"My gown stays white
from morn till night
Upon the Road of Anthracite"
 #1596783  by WashingtonPark

photobug56 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:52 pm What were the 2 ends of the Phoebe Snow?

And does anyone know if the Steamtown video is available online?
Now Phoebe Snow
Direct can go
From Thirty-third
To Buffalo.
From Broadway bright
The "tubes" run right
Into the Road
of Anthracite.
 #1596786  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Washington, is that your authorship? I guess Miss Phoebe outlived the Ferries.

Shall someone nominate you for a Pulitzer?

Somehow, taking the H&M to the premier daylight train in the East seems "incongruous" - and especially since they represented competing roads (PRR ownership of the H&M, lest we forget).