• GMTX GP38 #2081 in Pond?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by DogBert

Took a quick drive by fresh pond & maspeth. Nothing' moving at the pond and 105/106 switching maspeth. 2081 was either elsewhere or hidden out of sight at the shops.
  by Nyafan316

Gmtx gp39 #2081 traction motor is brokion
  by break the seals

mikey cruz wrote:Please tell me someone got pics of the CPsd40-2's on LIRR? I know it's a long shot but someone had to see this! =)
Allow me to one up that request sir. Fresh Pond Yard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHLGU_5SlQ4&feature=plcp
  by mikey cruz

That is awesome thank you! I wonder how nice the NYAR crew felt wit some real power!
  by ElliotCourtney

159 is down with a blown crankshaft. Mechanical is looking into options of what to do but dont expect miracles. Within the week 101 should be back. Its fan disintegrated but will be back soon.
  by mikey cruz

sucks when you have multiple loco's broke down, they don't have alot as it is.
  by break the seals

ElliotCourtney wrote:159 is down with a blown crankshaft. Mechanical is looking into options of what to do but dont expect miracles. Within the week 101 should be back. Its fan disintegrated but will be back soon.
That's a hefty problem. A replacement 645 can run upwards of 250 grand.
  by Backshophoss

Did 159 just "spin" the crankshaft bearings or did the crankshaft shatter apart??
If the bearings are wornout/failed,not an easy repair in the field but can be done.
If shattered apart,remove the "dead" prime mover and transplant a "reman"/used prime mover.
That type of project is better done at a shop.
Can NY+A rent shop space at LIRR Hillside??
  by deandremouse

Backshophoss wrote:Did 159 just "spin" the crankshaft bearings or did the crankshaft shatter apart??
If the bearings are wornout/failed,not an easy repair in the field but can be done.
If shattered apart,remove the "dead" prime mover and transplant a "reman"/used prime mover.
That type of project is better done at a shop.
Can NY+A rent shop space at LIRR Hillside??
159 is still owned by the LIRR, it's on long term lease to the NY&A. If I recall I believe the engines head over to Morris park when they need work done.
  by ElliotCourtney

Spun the bearings AND made it back to Pond from Pine Are with 50 cars. Not alone though. Work is done by NYAR.
  by Backshophoss

What remains at Morris Park is good for "running repairs" on the diesel fleet,if memory serves,the DM/DE's were shipped
to NS Altoona for overhaul.
Most of Morris Park was leveled when Hillside was finally put on line.
Is NY+A using a "service truck" to keep their fleet up and running??
  by break the seals

ElliotCourtney wrote:Spun the bearings AND made it back to Pond from Pine Are with 50 cars. Not alone though. Work is done by NYAR.
NYA will probably send it to the Sheridan shops which is located "Upstairs" next to the storage yard. It was only a year and a half ago that they completely gutted the 400 and rebuilt her from the ground up (Minus breaking down the carbody).
  by Ðauntless

break the seals wrote:
ElliotCourtney wrote:159 is down with a blown crankshaft. Mechanical is looking into options of what to do but dont expect miracles. Within the week 101 should be back. Its fan disintegrated but will be back soon.
Uh, No.
  by break the seals

Ðauntless wrote:
break the seals wrote:
Uh, No.
Ok Mr know it all, How much would a replacement 645 cost?
  by Teutobergerwald

250 large for a 645.....that can't be. Storagelines & scraplines around the U.S., Canada & Mexico are full of 645-engined EMD locomotives, both B-B & C-C. Mid-five figures at most for a 645 prime mover now.