Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by bingdude

I don't remember if anything was posted about it before on this forum, but when was the power plant at Glenwood shut down? And does anybody on the list know if there is any equipment still inside the building now?
  by Noel Weaver

I believe the Glenwood power plant was shut down in the very early
1960's. It has been shut down for a long time.
Noel Weaver

by DogBert

Glenwood inside looks far worse than outside. Stairs rusted through and or missing, water coming into through the back sometimes (there is a little building behind the big one that is about ready to collapse into the river, assuming it has not already.

There's still some equipment, especially in the front of the northernmost building, but it is all in very sad shape.

What I've always wondered though is who offically owns the site? is it MTA property? or was it sold by NYC or PC (or CR even)?

(It should be a given, but I'll say it anyway: don't go in there, it's just plain dangerous. If you do go, be damn careful, wear a hard hat, and if it is in the summer months, expect to run into graffiti artists or young kids from the neighborhood. I've been there a few times a few years ago and always ran into other people wandering around, most were just taking photos, others tagging up. The little kids were just climbing around having fun. At no point did I ever run into anyone I thought to be dangerous though).

by roee

DogBert wrote:What I've always wondered though is who offically owns the site? is it MTA property? or was it sold by NYC or PC (or CR even)?
From the info I found online, it was sold to Con Ed (or more likely, one of the companies that later became part of Con Ed) in 1936 and ran into the 1950's, and was put on stand-by until the 1960's, when it was shut down. Then most of the equipment was removed in the 1970's, and then it was sold and is now private property. After the Con Ed subsidary bought it, the NYC bought power from them for a while.

by Dieter

I would be afraid of falling through the floor, and into the Hudson. Ditto that it's got to be a dreadfully dangerous place. Take shots from the outside only. Is there any thought of tearing it down?

Anyone have any pictures or sketches of the track and operation for feeding that complex coal from a siding(s)?

Dieter.

by bingdude

Thanks for the info. No I don't intend to go in there...at least not alone.

If it isn't taken down soon it probably will come down on its own. One of the smokestacks has lost a few of the iron straps. The time to save it was about 20 years ago.

I would have guessed that anything of value (transformers, Dynamos, turbines) would have been ripped apart by vandals to get the copper and bronze out of them.

by MNCW

I seem to remember a couple of stories on this having grown up in Yonkers and living there for 30+ years.
I believe a developer had purchased the property and may still own it. I also had heard that Yonkers was given the opportunity to buy it for $1 but chose not to.

Tom

by roee

I wouldn't be surprised if it's torn down and turned into condos soon. That area seems to be hopping with development, unless of course if the site is contanimated.