Railroad Forums 

• Getting an education

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#115810  by COPTORAIL

Hi everyone! This is my first posting. I am planning on retiring from law enforcement within five years and am trying to learn as much about the railroad as possible before then. Am interested in being a conductor and/or engineer on either freight or passenger. I've read alot here about freight operations but not much about passenger lines. Here in NJ there seems to be plenty of opportunities in both. Which might be easier to get into? It seems like NJ Transit hires from the outside into the engineer program? Is it worthwhile to pay for and attend a Freight Conductor training school myself or hope to be hired into one? I look forward to posting with you and appreciate your time.

#115816  by LCJ

I hope it works out the way you want it to. Welcome to the forums.

To be frank, five years is a long period of time for predicting what the needs of the industry will be in that area -- but because of the changes made recently to Railroad Retirement, many should be leaving in the next few years. If economic growth continues, you may just have a good shot at it.

At least you shouldn't have any problem with the background checks! :wink:

Really, though, good luck. Feel free to e-mail me with specific or general questions. I'll do my best to help.

#117490  by SnoozerZ49

Welcome and good luck,
you'll find a lot of interesting threads on the site. I can't speak about New Jersey but I will tell you about my experiences in Boston ( Home of the World Champion RED SOX ). I have just left passenger service to return to freight service. In Boston working passenger service you will probably meet the same number of scum bags you met in law enforcement. The difference is that as a conductor you can't do anything about them. Here the old ways of a Conductor being "captain of his ship" are over. All people say all kinds of things to you and there aren't many things that you can do without breaking some sort of rule. Finally you get the thrill of being placed in dangerous situations and have the bonus of having to wait for the Transit Police to show up ( average wait fifteen minutes). I apologize for sounding a bit bitter and maybe NJ Transit has a better handle on things than the people in Boston have.

#122860  by RailroadDog

I realize you said you were interested in becoming a conductor
but did you know that the railroads have their own police department?

That also might be an option for you to explore.

Sean
www.getarailroadjob.com

#122879  by Avro Arrow

DON'T go to "train school" unless you absolutely have to or you'll be paid for it. There are lots of opportunities in the industry that don't require you to endure pay-as-you-go training.
Last edited by Avro Arrow on Mon May 02, 2005 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#122917  by RailroadDog

That is true, with your background as a cop you should get
hired no problem.

Sean