Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Brock

Yet another train smashed through a bumper block that has been in the same place since before the motorman was born. Thats two this week! Hempstead and now port Washington!!!

by DutchRailnut

If there is leaf residue there is no way to stop, I have come into stations at 9 mph using sanders and just kept on sliding for about another 16 passeger car lenghts, on mainline thats what reverse is for, on a stub track thats what the bumper block is for.
as long as you do less than restricted speed and started braking in sufficient time, there is not much the railroad can do to you.

by NIMBYkiller

It was leaf residue from what I've been told. Good news is no one got hurt. I knew I should've gone by there today though.

by RetiredLIRRConductor

The rumors I hear at work is that a bird smashed into the window just as the train was nearing the block, and it caused the engineer to jump back causing the throttle to be pulled back (it was an M-7). I heard when they inspected the front of the train, there was indeed a bird stuck in the windshield wiper. You just can't make this styff up! :-)

by Lirr168

LirrConductor wrote:The rumors I hear at work is that a bird smashed into the window just as the train was nearing the block, and it caused the engineer to jump back causing the throttle to be pulled back (it was an M-7). I heard when they inspected the front of the train, there was indeed a bird stuck in the windshield wiper. You just can't make this styff up! :-)
Geez, first the car driving into the train in Woodmere and then this, talk about a weird week for the LIRR. Is it a full moon or something?

by NIMBYkiller

Somebody PLEASE confirm what LIRR168 said! That will make my WEEK!

by Frank

Lirr168 wrote:
LirrConductor wrote:The rumors I hear at work is that a bird smashed into the window just as the train was nearing the block, and it caused the engineer to jump back causing the throttle to be pulled back (it was an M-7). I heard when they inspected the front of the train, there was indeed a bird stuck in the windshield wiper. You just can't make this styff up! :-)
Geez, first the car driving into the train in Woodmere and then this, talk about a weird week for the LIRR. Is it a full moon or something?
Maybe it is just a coincidence.

by Clem

The bird did appear to fly into the motorman's windshield but that does not relieve the engineer from failing to control the movement.

by NIMBYkiller

ROFLMFAO!

by Nasadowsk

Anyone gots pics of this? Or the (remains of) bumper block in question?

I've also noted that some blocks look like they can take an MU coupler into them - did they ever lock onto any entering couplers at any time?

by NIMBYkiller

Nothing there really worth taking pictures of. Aside from some new fencing, new dirt, and a piece of wood(and a brighter than usual bumper block), you would never be able to tell there was an accident there.