• Genesis discussion (AMD-103, P40DC, P42DC)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Tadman

I think the P40's are in dire need of a rebuild, judging by Dutch and some others' comments on the MNCR forum, and the P32s are good for switchers due to steps, footplates, visibility. I know there's a P32 being used at CUS to shunt consists around the south end. With the early goats gone now, Amtrak needs something at busier terminals to do the grunt work.
  by NorfolkSouthernSean

On February 2nd, CSX Train Q438 had 814 D.I.T. as it's third unit and from I can find so far, it wound up in Selkirk. Now today there were 2 more P40's that "escaped" from Bear. 808 & 820 were in the Conrail Shared Assets Morrisville, PA Yard. They were nose to nose in the West end of the yard coupled to a cut of freight cars. Anybody know what's up with these units and where they might be headed?

by burkeman

Yeah I've seen them too, the 808 and the 820 near the wye couple to a NS Engine and some frieght cars.

by amtrakhogger

I worked a job that brought the 808 to Ham the other day for
interchange. No official word on where they are going.

by peak-layover

This is a completely wild guess, but perhaps to NJT's MMC. More P40s for testing. 835 is alread up there, mabye they want to or three more. Can someone who is more on the inside of NJT please tell me how wrong I am.

by 35dtmrs92

Don't tell me NJT is actually following through on that ludicrous pipe dream of dual-mode locos. NYP can't handle anymore trains anyway. They have their own terminal that can take diesels at Hoboken and is just as convenient as via the Madison Square Garden basement. Terrible waste of our dollars.

by DutchRailnut

P40's are not dual mode and can not be made into dual modes without spending more than a P40 is worth.

by sixty-six

I can see 1 or 2 P40s going to NJT for dual mode testing (yes, I know they arent dual mode capable, but the entire Genesis line shares some common traits: cab, controls, handling, no? DR can correct me if I'm wrong). Maybe to test the engine's dimensions around the system before commiting to a dual-mode purchase? I dont know, just a hypothesis.

This was done before when NJT was looking to replace the E60s. A SEPTA and MARC AEM-7 made their way on the Coast Line pulling two seperate consists.

by Jtgshu

Here we go again - I can't see Amtrak and New York State "leasing" their Dual Modes to NJT..........1, they can't spare them, 2, they need and use them every day for Empire Service into and out of NYP.

They are P40's - straight diesel locomotives.

Was it the 814 that was parked at Ham on 5 track about 3 weeks ago??? I thought it was the 812, but I don't remember -

The next time anyone heads up the Corridor, check Adams MOW yard, they might have been heading there, but I dunno why Amtrak would send them out on a CSX train, if they were coming from Bear and heading to Adams - that doesn't make any sense.
  by amtrakhogger

Those P40's are stripped of some components, namely electrical
hardware. They are currently not servicable and furthermore
if they were destined for NJT MMC, they would not go in transit
via Conrail or CSX to the MMC rather an Amtrak KN or KP crew
would run them up to Hudson Yard for interchange.
Amtrak work train crews do not see any waybills for destinations of
outbound equipment. We only get a form 1863 for a work
assignment for that day. So these P40's are destined for
off line to a 3rd party.

by Nasadowsk

With Warrington basically gone from NJT, dual modes will likely be gone, too. Right now, everyone at NJT I've talked to says there's no real new equipment on the horizon, save for a new EMU, but they're not even SURE if they're gonna order any.

by NorfolkSouthernSean

The 808 & 820 were moved to CSX's Woodbourne Yard for pickup later that evening. 820 was grabbed by K276 this afternoon. The 808 is still there. I've been told that they're headed to Beech Grove.

by jb9152

35dtmrs92 wrote:Don't tell me NJT is actually following through on that ludicrous pipe dream of dual-mode locos. NYP can't handle anymore trains anyway. They have their own terminal that can take diesels at Hoboken and is just as convenient as via the Madison Square Garden basement. Terrible waste of our dollars.
If you're talking about ARC, please have some facts before you spout, 35. The extra service is not going to PSNY - it's going to a new terminal located next to PSNY.

by JoeG

NJT has promised all sorts of towns on its non-electrified lines that they will get one-seat rides to Manhattan when its new tunnel is built, maybe around 2015. They haven't said exactly how they will manage this. There are 2 possibilities: Dual mode engines, and trainsets that are made up of DMUs and EMUs MU'd together. Of course, no suitable DMU/EMU cars exist. So, looks like NJT will in fact have to order some dual-mode engines, but they aren't going to have them built out of F40s.

by AmtrakPhill629

Maybe they should order DM30AC's for dual mode service.