Railroad Forums 

• Genesis discussion (AMD-103, P40DC, P42DC)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#113196  by arnstg

For the last several weeks I have seen the Southwest Chief (3&4) leading with P42's and trailing P32BWH (#502-519 Series) and P40 (#800-843) in back.

Is this a lack of P42's or for maintenance reasons?

#113198  by scannergeek

Last I heard, Amtrak had too much power, and mothballed some units.

Most of the Dash-8's were used for switching and maintenance use before Amtrak received new switchers. I think the Dash-8 is simply "available" now, so that's what they use. They find themselves on the Sunset Limited as well.

#113211  by DutchRailnut

Amtrak nees about 149 diesels for daily use.
average availability of P42's is about 169 per day.
that leaves about 30 units to be shopped per day and still have spares.

#113233  by AmtrakFan

Mr. Railnut,
The correct number is 158 needed. Mr. Arnstag the reason the P40's have been used on 3/4 are they use what's avaible as the 3rd unit on 3/4 like I've seen P42, P32 and P40's all as 3rd Units.

#113406  by hsr_fan

According to the most recent issue of Trains magazine, Amtrak has 17 active P32AC-DM locos. Has one been lost, or did someone simply make an error? 700-717 makes 18 units, right?

#113409  by DutchRailnut

Correct non are lost they just counted wrong.

#113451  by AmtrakFan

DutchRailnut wrote:Correct non are lost they just counted wrong.
I THINK THEY LOST 703 I heard some where.

#113479  by hsr_fan

AmtrakFan wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:Correct non are lost they just counted wrong.
I THINK THEY LOST 703 I heard some where.
I hope not; however, this roster shows only 17 active. If that's true, I wonder what happened. I turned up a 2003 photo of #703 in Phase V paint, so if it was lost, it happened recently.

#113481  by RMadisonWI

AmtrakFan wrote:I THINK THEY LOST 703 I heard some where.
There's no need to shout.

#113512  by Railjunkie

The 703 just came back from its rebuild, but I think we lost the 713 last week after it too came back from its rebuild, first or second trip and it died.

#113682  by AmtrakFan

RMadisonWI wrote:
AmtrakFan wrote:I THINK THEY LOST 703 I heard some where.
There's no need to shout.
Sorry everyone! I didn't notice my Caps Lock was on again :( :(

#113727  by Nasadowsk

<i>The 703 just came back from its rebuild, but I think we lost the 713 last week after it too came back from its rebuild, first or second trip and it died</i>

Um...isn't the point of rebuilding it so that it doesn't die?

I'm sure they got the Phase VIIX paintjob and the new logos perfect, though...

#113747  by geoffs

The figures for active units include those on programed overhaul but not those long term out of service (usually wreck, fire or major mechanical repairs). The number of active units changes from day to day. I'd expect that P32ACDMs figure has returned to 18 by now.

It is 703 that has been off roster for some time. It was overhauled in 2003 then after an unknown indicent returned to Beech Grove for most of 2004. From posting above it now seems to have returned.

713 returned last month from programed overhaul at Beech Grove and as such would not have been off-roster.

The surviving active P40s are now operating all over the system after recently being transfered from the Auto Train to General Pool use and are freely inter-mixing with P42s.

#113833  by Railjunkie

Was told the 713 "blew up" Easter eve dont have details but I got that info from the shop foreman while getting a couple of lite engines ready for there trip to SPG Easter morning. As for the 703, I had the luck of drawing that engine on a rescue ( the crew was short time) picked up train in POU and made it as far as HUD with all types of faults.