Railroad Forums 

• FYI-Amtrak to cut Pennsylvanian/Three Rivers

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#52476  by ewonder

Even though this is not a Septa service cut, I understand Amtrak is planning to eliminate this Philadelphia-Harrisburg-Pittsburgh route. I think this is a shame because many smaller cities and towns are going to loose a vital link to the region. What can citizens do to persuade lawmakers and the "powers that be" to properly fund Septa and Amtrak in Pennsylvania?

#52522  by jfrey40535

Would be nice if SEPTA could run to Harrisburg again. Let Amtrak focus on the HAR-CHI segment. I shouldn't say again, Silverliners haven't been at Harrisburg since the PRR days, but if SEPTA had nicer equipment, it would be nice to see them run there since HAR and Lancaster want commuter rail. Offer a 'Express' and 'Local' type service. But I can't see riding that long in a crummy Silverliner seat.

#52539  by Lucius Kwok

Amtrak's official press release is somewhat complicated in how it describes what will happen, but essentially there will be in PA just one train each day between Pittsburgh and Harrisburg. Since the original press release is not available on the new Amtrak.com web site, I have used the Google cache to show you a part of the original text.
Effective Nov. 1, 2004, the Three Rivers (New York-Pittsburgh-Chicago) and Pennsylvanian (New York-Pittsburgh) will be replaced by one New York-Pittsburgh-Chicago train offering Coach and Business Class service.  It will operate on a schedule nearly one-hour faster than the current Three Rivers. 

On or about March 1, 2005, service on the Three Rivers route will be eliminated west of Pittsburgh, following the legally required advanced notice to the affected communities of Youngstown, Akron and Fostoria, Ohio, and Nappanee, Ind.
I wonder how many people in southwestern and south central PA know about this and care enough to say something.