Railroad Forums 

• Furloughs: Chasing Seniority/Chasing Work

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1232765  by WhiskeyBravo270

Hello. Have an interview with UP for Saint James, Minnesota train crew 12/16. I know furloughs are a big part of the life. I've comforted myself by convincing myself I can chase work in the event I am furloughed.

If I am furloughed at Saint James, I can pack my duffel bag and go to some yard in North Dakota, Washington, Texas, Kansas, Iowa, or.... I am willing and able to live the life of a Nomad. I am a 34 year old single male without kids, mortgage, or bills. I've heard that some yards require you to train without pay while becoming familiar with the way things are done there; I'll get around this by saving $ while I am able to work.

So, am I deluding/fooling myself or will I be able to survive the furlough by chasing work--wherever it may be? I am not too concerned about being temporarily laid-off. I just want to know that I will be able to find work somewhere else in the United States as long as I'm willing to travel.
 #1235620  by COEN77

Most people if it's a seasonal furlough save up for it and take a break. I've worked places that winter furloughs were common till someone had 3-5 years seniority. Been to others that worked a person year round. Chasing work sometimes isn't worth it if you have to pay for all the expenses lodging ect...learned that mistake in 1979. Some railroads establish furlough boards which a person can sign up for that are used once the extra board is exhausted. It's more of a wait and see. You'll learn more if you get hired. It's difficult to get answers about stuff like furloughs while still in the hiring process. Who knows you might never get furloughed. Sometimes it's being in the right place at the right time.