Railroad Forums 

• Furlough insurance

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1245604  by WhiskeyBravo270

Hello. Who do you guys have supplemental unemployment insurance with? I was thinking it would be a good idea to have some insurance in case I am furloughed after training. What are your monthly premiums and is there a waiting period? I start conductor training with UP Feb. 3. Thanks.
 #1245696  by Freddy

You'll probably find the brochures in any crew room, like I did. There are or used to be 2 companies that offered it and you could sign with either or both. While I never signed up myself,
I knew 2 dispatchers, 1 chief dispatcher and a few signal maintainers who paid for the coverage. You paid different premium amounts for different amounts paid out .
 #1245697  by Freddy

Freddy wrote:You'll probably find the brochures in any crew room, like I did. There are or used to be 2 companies that offered it and you could sign with either or both. While I never signed up myself,
I knew 2 dispatchers, 1 chief dispatcher and a few signal maintainers who paid for the coverage. You paid different premium amounts for different amounts paid out .
OOps, Sorry, thought you meant the so-called run-off or 'Whammy' insurance.
 #1245766  by qboy

I've Never heard of furlough insurance! Thats a new one to me.
 #1245776  by DutchRailnut

there is Out Of Service insurance ( http://www.BRCF.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and other) for when your taken out with no pay, but never heard of Furlough Insurance !!
 #1245878  by WhiskeyBravo270

When I say furlough insurance, I just mean insurance to supplement state unemployment insurance. I know if I get furloughed, I can definitely collect state unemployment and maybe unemployment from the FRA. I want to buy more private insurance to bring my total unemployment pay closer to what I will be making while working. I know there are guys on here who do this because I've seen post suggesting others do it.

Thanks.
 #1246115  by railman616

Railroad unemployment insurance is paid by the Railroad Retirement Board (rrb.gov) not the FRA. I believe that no insurance is available for income protection while furloughed. Insurance is available for income protection while in a "Out of Service" situations caused by Carriers discipline cases. A furlough is just a layoff and all companies do that. If you are laid off from a company and collect regular unemployment benefits while you worked for that company no insurance was available to replace your income not covered by unemployment. Railroads tend to hire in a boom or bust environment and when the economy turn down they furlough to cut they costs. When thing improve they going on a hiring binge again and called back furloughed employees but only 25% come back if that.
 #1246971  by Gadfly

Never heard of "unemployment insurance". And, no, after you have completed your "120 days" in the first year, you CANNOT collect state unemployment insurance.
What WE had was what we referred to was "Run-off Insurance" where you are taken out of service account of discipline. Once you have completed transition into totally railroad service, you are now part of the Railroad Retirement System and any unemployment benefits accrue thru them. There were various health or accident policies you could buy, but no supplemental unemployment insurance. Whatever "insurance" in addition would come from YOUR savings account and your ability to be frugal.

GF