Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by lirr42

The MTA announced today on it's website that Governor Cuomo announced that $600 million had been set aside for 300 new R-179 cars

See the press release here: Governor Cuomo Announces $600 Million MTA Investment in Upstate Manufacturing
In a press release, a representative for Governor Andrew M. Cuomo wrote:...[Cuomo] today announced that the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) will purchase 300 new rail cars to be built by the Bombardier Transit Corporation in Plattsburgh. The $600 million order will allow Bombardier to retain 300 jobs, and preserves an additional 200 jobs for area suppliers...

...The R-179 cars, due for testing in late 2014 and for delivery in late 2016, will replace the oldest subway cars now in use by the MTA. The cars will be financed by $306 million in federal funds already in place in the MTA's recently completed capital plan and other pending and future federal grants. The contract was approved unanimously by the MTA Board of Directors today [March 28]...
  by Forest Glen

I'm hoping they're not simply copycats of the R160, because the system is starting to look monotonous.
  by lirr42

Forest Glen wrote:I'm hoping they're not simply copycats of the R160, because the system is starting to look monotonous.
Here is a rendering from Bombardier Transportation on what the car might look link:
Photo Courtesy of Bombardier Transit Corporation
Image source: mta.info
  by RWERN

Forest Glen wrote:I'm hoping they're not simply copycats of the R160, because the system is starting to look monotonous.
I don't mind the look of a uniform fleet, but I wish the route designations on the car ends reflected the respective line colors like they did on the rollsigns. I don't think that is too much to ask.
  by Roadgeek Adam

RWERN wrote:
I don't mind the look of a uniform fleet, but I wish the route designations on the car ends reflected the respective line colors like they did on the rollsigns. I don't think that is too much to ask.
Same. It was pretty hard at 174th Street to tell a 2 or a 5 apart due to the colors, or lackthereof.