Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by Ken V

VIA's 'New' Equipment
GILBERT B NORMAN on Mon, Dec 18, 00 at 14:15 wrote:
There is discussion over on the Amtrak Forum regarding the "new" equipment that VIA is acquiring from overseas.
There is an article in November TRAINS describing this equipment. Apparently this equipment was intended for a "stillborn" European service and is to European "specs", including width (loading gauge).

Obviously this equipment would not meet US crashworthy standards, which precluded Amtrak from considering "off the shelf" overseas technology for the Acela Express.

Let us hope it does not find its way into service on "The/Le Canadia/en".
Tyler W on Mon, Dec 18, 00 at 20:34 wrote: The ex-Eurostar coaches will most likely be on the LRC runs. The Budd Stainless Steel cars are well associated with the Canadian, the same way that an RDC is associated with the E&N Railiner.
Tyler
David on Tue, Jan 2, 01 at 21:26 wrote: Of the 139 passenger cars to be acquired, 72 are sleeping cars. Via has made it fairly clear that they will be run on the eastern route, that is: the "Ocean" and "Chaleur." It would appear likely that will include the "Enterprise" between Toronto and Montreal. The ex-CP Budd-built cars will be used for the western services. Sadly, this could mean the end of dome car service in the east. Via has previously indiated they would like to increase capacity on the "Canadian." As this train runs a minimum of 19 cars in the long summer season (late-April to mid-November) and often up to 25 and even 30 cars, this can only mean a return to daily service. Via has also indicated they would like to restore service on the CP line, at least between Calgary-Banff-Vancouver.
Tyler W on Wed, Jan 3, 01 at 2:19 wrote: I heard the with this new CN/CP shared trackage agreement that the Vancouver-bound train will travel over CNR trackage, and the Edmonton-bound will head east over the CPR to Calgary then to Edmonton via the CPR.
Tyler
Marco on Thu, Jan 4, 01 at 20:43 wrote: Cool all that new stuff! But, will there be enough power available? 21 more locomotives isn't really a lot, if VIA is going to add more trains to the corridor service there won't be much left! Does anybody know what we will get besides F59PHI's?
Mark Rushton on Tue, Jan 9, 01 at 12:27 wrote: I have heard that VIA is seriously considering the P42-9BWH "Genesis units. I have also heard a *RUMOUR* that VIA is trying to back out of the agreement with GM for the 7 F59PHI, aulthough last I heard, GM hadn't signed a purchase agreement for those units, so who knows.
As for the new passenger equipment, we may see them testing on the Ocean this winter, but full service is still a year or so away. As some of the cars are not completed, and because the roof is not an integral part of the structure of the car, there is word that VIA may convert a few of these cars (less than 10 would be required) into some kind of dome car.
Mark
GILBERT B NORMAN on Sat, Jan 13, 01 at 15:28 wrote: According to TRAINS magazine Newswire, an organization named Canadians with Disabilities is attempting to stop VIA from taking delivery of this "new" (to VIA at least)equipment.
I don't know how effective this group's lobby is north of the 49th, but I'm willing to bet that a similar group here in the States could pull off just that.
Kim L Millard on Thu, Jan 25, 01 at 23:07 wrote: Although I'm feeling quite optimistic about the Nightstar acquisition, I STILL feel that no matter what, Via will eventually have to re-equip the Canadian with Superliners or something to that effect.
The old equipment, no matter HOW much nostalgic value it has simply is not going to run forever and it's eventually just going to become too costly to continually rebuild them. And I don't feel the Nightstars, while apparently fine equipment for short distances is substantial enough to pull duty on a route as demanding as what the Canadian traverses.
Samuel-Louis Bandy, Jr. on Wed, Jan 31, 01 at 10:41 wrote: The dream would be to see these new cars as shown on the ViaRail.ca site in use as is replacing the LRC for longer distance. The three across seating in coach looks much more comfortable than the sardine-crunch of the current LRC Economy configurations. Also, with the inclusion of some sleepers, perhaps someone may actually revive the "Old" CN/GTW International that left Chicago and ran intact to Montreal. Currently, the route requires a stay in Toronto one night each way as the connection to the Enterprise can not be guaranteed. I would love to see the new equipment at Chicago Union Station on an afternoon, and be in the same car when it pulls into Gare CN in Montreal the next day.
I love the Amtrak Superliners, but the stopover in Toronto is a pain.
Samuel-Louis Bandy, Jr. on Tue, Mar 20, 01 at 2:36 wrote: I got to see the new cars on March 12. On the way into Montreal, as we rode out to the bridge on train 60 to back up, we saw an F40 nosing the three around the curve behind the Alstom building in Montreal. They had them painted a Green-Lt. Blue colour scheme with "Canada" on them. Looks good, but the ends looked odd to me.
Piet on Sat, Mar 24, 01 at 11:41 wrote: any idea when they will begin entering service?
Ra'akone on Thu, Jun 21, 01 at 12:26 wrote: Supposedly this fall is when they'll enter service.
"Dome conversions" sounds new to me, but then again one of VIA's selling points on many of their trains is the domes....many people south of the border are upset that Amtrak is effectivly domeless (come'on, the Superliner lounge is NOT the same as a dome car)

There are rumors in some places that the Enterprise and the International will be combined. Another still that the Montreal to Chicago train will be TWICE a day. Supposedly the sleepers will be VIA, but there'll be an Amtrak dinning car and/or cafe car, and the coaches might be from both companies.

But will Nightstars be allowed in the US? Don't forget the FRA raised a stink when Amtrak tried using Talgoes.

~Ra'akone