Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by Ken V

Greyhound vs VIA
MikeCDN Member wrote: I must laugh at a couple of reports the Toronto Star has posted on Via Rail.

Earlier this week Greyhound Bus Lines was complaining about losing business as, they claim, Via is a monopoly and they're hurting the bus industry as they're increasing frequencies on their lines. This to me is a ridiculous complaint as Greyhound itself, for the most part, a monopoly bus service in Canada. Via costs more than the bus, yet people still ride the train. Try getting a seat on the Kitchener/London line. The trains do sell out or you will face a smelly bus.

Another report came today on this Dec. 13 explaining why more business people are using the train over airlines, bus services, and personal autos. One businessman stated that Via has internet and power plug-ins for lap tops in Via , thus increasing productivity. Making Via an ideal choice of travel. The new station in Ottawa was also praised by business people and regular travelers. People simply will spend a little more for a better service.

In a time when highways and airports get over - crowded it is nice to know that people are looking for an alternative mode of transportation. A train can get you where you want to be and is not affected as much by fog, freezing rain etc. as planes and buses are. Making Via an ideal choice in the corridor. If you offer it, they will come.

In short I am pleased to see that Canadians in the corridor region are beginning to embrace the train as a mode of transportation. I myself use the train to get to and from Toronto. Via is a great asset to Canadians in general. Park your car and take the train. The 400 Highway series does not any more vehicles on them.

Mike.

Posted 12/13/2002 3:21:00 PM PST
MovingWheels.Com Member wrote: Well, I can't fully agree with you, Mike. I LOVE trains and I try to do all my best for using them, but I almost always finish to take the bus. Ok, I agree Greyhound is the biggest player in Ontario, Western Canada and in the States, but they don't go East of Montreal. Quebec and Maritimes got several different companies. I don't really know what's going on in your GTA commuter lines, but I know regularly travel far West and 90% of the time, I'm on the bus. Lot much more cheaper (Reserved ticket for about a 100 bucks) and they're running 3 daily buses on the Trans-Canada line. What's doing Via? If you're enough lucky to be on the good day they run a train in the right direction, you'll be enough lucky to pay about 400 $ more just to get power plugs for laptops and stewards to sell you Pepsi cans. Some bus lines (I thinking to Orleans Express, per exemple) got these power plugs and table too. About these plugs, you gotta go first class, because standard LRC cars only got one or two of them per car and it's quite hard to reach them. Renaissance cars seems doing a bit better with plugs, but they're not really optimized for working while travelling. About Pepsi cans, they're available in any bus stops or depots you go. Also, I'm now capable to get me on a plane with a seat for less than 200 $ between Montreal and Cow Town or the Peg. That's a non-sense to pay 2 or 3 X more only to be riding a train rather than a bus or plane. Another point is making transfer with trains. If your train arrives on time and you don't have to wait too long for your next time, that's sorta a exceptionnal event. Finally, I'll conclude by declaring there's still lots of improvements (schedules, service...) to do with VIA. Transportation is a business and business means to be competitive.

Posted 4/5/2003 7:02:00 PM PST
Olog-Hai Member wrote: I take it that Coach Canada is not successfully competing with Greyhound . . . ??

Posted 4/20/2003 5:07:00 PM PST
Ken_V Moderator wrote: Coach Canada is strictly a regional service at this time and doesn't directly compete with Greyhound (or VIA) on most routes. A creation of Coach USA, it is composed of three acquired bus companies, the largest of which is the (former) Trentway-Wagar line which serves southern Ontario plus Montreal and New York State. From what I can tell by seeing their buses on the road, Coach Canada is doing OK.

Posted 4/21/2003 6:43:00 PM PST
ENR3809 Moderator wrote: Grehound also does not run west of Vancouver. Island Coach Lines operates all services on Vancouver Island, and PCL runs connections to Greyhound and VIA Rail in Vancouver.

Posted 4/22/2003 6:50:00 PM PST

by Ken V

Since this was discussed I've discovered that each of these bus companies has their own mini-monopolies over routes in the Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto district. Coach Canada has the Hwy 401/20 corridor between Toronto and Montreal while Greyhound owns the Ottawa segments and downtown terminals.

Where's the competition?