Railroad Forums 

• Freight "through" NYP

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1542011  by Greg Moore

I was thinking about this after reading the recent article in Trains about the NY and Atlantic that runs over much of the LIRR. Fascinating article.
And then one of the moderators (I think it was Jeff Smith) properly tried to redirect a discussion back away from freight through NYP.

BUT, this got me thinking:
Let be be clear at the start: I am NOT advocating freight through the current North River tunnels and NYP as is. That is, I think a non-starter in any shape/form.

But, what if we thought outside the box a bit, or more accurately the current tubes.

The idea of having the new tunnels large enough Superliner equipment has come up, but that's fraught with other issues. But got me thinking: What if you did make them large enough for standard height freight and modified ONE track through NYP to have movable platforms (like a few of the subway lines) so that a night you could bring some freight through. You still have the issue of the East River tunnels I know.
Then, later, you went with the option that was looked at one point (not sure the current status) and have one of the new tunnels split and have a lower level tunnel directly to Queens.

So stage 1:
  • Build 1 of the 2 new tunnels slightly larger to accommodate freight to LI.
  • Modify one track in NYP so freight can run through to one of the southern East River tunnels
Stage 2:
  • Build "lower" level tunnel under Manhattan to connect to new North River Tunnel, that connects directly to Queens.
Now, you're all saying, "Greg, We've been over this, it's a non-starter, it's pointless, etc".
And I'd mostly agree.

But consider this, Long Island right now has two routes for freight:
The current cross harbor barge limited to 14 cars (though the Port Authority is looking to replace it with 2 18 car capacity) or via CSX through a route that ultimately means crossing the Hudson just south of Albany, a 280 mile (or so) detour.

Again, "So?"

Funding: That's why. Between Federal funds and perhaps the freight railroads kicking in additional money to open up the LI market more, you now have a way to provide additional funding to build the tunnels.

It's an unholy alliance of bedmates, but honestly, if it'll get you the money, I think you should consider it.

My SWAG on operational costs is even if you have to break down say a 60 car freight trains into 3 20 car trains and pull each through NYP at night, that's going to cost less than breaking down into 6 car strings, loading them 1 at a time onto a barge, and then re-assembling them at the far end.

My first real objection honestly, is the East River tunnels. I'm not sure any would work in their current config, so you might end up adding a 5th, and that, with the North River and platform modifications would probably eat up any additional funds you might receive. On the other hand, you now have 5 tunnels instead of 4.
 #1542014  by Tadman

Greg Moore wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:37 am I was thinking about this after reading the recent article in Trains about the NY and Atlantic that runs over much of the LIRR. Fascinating article.
And then one of the moderators (I think it was Jeff Smith) properly tried to redirect a discussion back away from freight through NYP.
It was me. You can tell the difference because I'm the good looking one. Same with John P. I'm growing a quarantine mullett so luscious neither of those guys could touch it.
 #1542018  by Jeff Smith

LOL, you're the good looking one!?!? You should see my 'Rona-do!

On this topic, I really do think the Cross-Harbor freight tunnel is a better option from Hoboken or such to the Bay Ridge Branch in Brooklyn. It WAS the original mission of PATH NYNJ: https://railroad.net/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=3246
 #1542020  by Tadman

All kidding aside, I think we need to frame the question better:

1. How much freight potential is there into greater NYC/LI?
2. How much run through potential between Albany or New Haven and Newark or Philly?
3. How do the current routes not meet the needs?

If there's little freight potential, it's a moot question. If a billion dollar tunnel wouldn't help speed up freight that comes in from New Haven or Albany, again there's little point. The cross-harbor car float doesn't see enough traffic hardly. Does it even run anymore?

Edit: The NYNJ wiki page is a quick and interesting read.

They do still run. They are spending $35m to STUDY a cross harbor freight tunnel. Who knows how many billions it will cost.

How many new tugs or barges can you buy for $35m?
 #1542030  by Jeff Smith

"How many new tugs or barges can you buy for $35m?"

Depends on how many prime movers are on the resale market LOL.

I think the NYNJ operation is lightly used because of the obvious inconvenience of the operation, and low capacity. I think the relevant question is how much comes down from the black hole of CSX: Selkirk, and how many shippers would move from truck to rail if a better operation were available.
 #1542095  by Greg Moore

I won't make judgments on looks.
That said, the Wikipedia article on the NY&A says 30,000 car movements a year in 2018, but I think the Trains article says they're up to 40K.
The barge is supposed to be replaced with 2 new ones to support up to 25,000 car movements a year. (current usage appears to be about 6K).

So, that alone gives an increase of about 19,000 car movements. It's not clear from the wikipedia article if the 25,000 is the upper limit, or just expected limited.

Even still that's not too shabby.
And that is assuming current traffic patterns. If say breaking the trains down into 6 car strings (I'm assuming the 18 car capacity of the new barges is 3x6, not 6x3 :-) adds 10% in overhead (again, of course a complete SWAG) and you remove that by going direct, you may see increased traffic. You also add the potential of thru traffic to southern New England.

Now, I thought of the Cross-Harbor Tunnel, but as that's had even LESS movement than the North River Tunnels, I figure it's a write-off at this point.

Now, again, "how much." Well if it costs say another $500million to make changes to accommodate this, but you can get an extra $1B in funding, it may be worth it. After all, the tunnels will be pretty empty at night, as is NYP.
 #1542117  by hxa

No-go. "E" speed or freight speed is 20 mph from "HUNTER" to "F", which would make freight trains "moving barriers" along this section. And the restriction has nothing to do with the infrastructure. Instead, it's (naturally) required by the current signal system, so that a new tube or improved track geometry would not help.
 #1542120  by Greg Moore

How many trains at night would that interfere with? Remember, I'm not suggesting anything during daytime hours.
 #1542121  by Backshophoss

This might have to wait untill Gateway is built,as both north(Hudson)River tube flex too much.
Roadrailer(Truckload) or Spine cars with 53 ft containers(Truckload),with a load limit of 64,000 lbs(to be road legal for the final mile(s)
to delivery. Also NO Haz-Mat loads thru the tunnels to keep FDNY happy, they could be floated over by NYNJ To Bay Ridge.
Set up an Intermodal yard at the old wye at Pinelawn on the Island as a central point to deliver to local industries/retail stores,
also Brookhaven where JB Hunt has a dedicated operations yard for Home Depot retail store deliveries.This would pull a lot of trucks
off the NYC expressways and the LIE(I-495)and cut the shipment costs.

The Major Fleets could set up local yards for a fleet of Day cabs instead of the OTR driver slogging thru NYC to deliver and in most cases leave the Island empty to get back to the mainland,slogging thru NYC a second time.
 #1542123  by hxa

Greg Moore wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:39 pm How many trains at night would that interfere with? Remember, I'm not suggesting anything during daytime hours.
From NJT timetable archived on the same day:
http://web.archive.org/web/201812132043 ... ay5717.pdf
http://web.archive.org/web/201812131802 ... ay5717.pdf
http://web.archive.org/web/201812131908 ... ay5717.pdf

From 1am to 4 am, there're 3 NEC Line trains, 2 Morris &Essex Line trains and 1 NJ Coast Line train to and from Penn Station each hour. That's 6tph in each direction, or a 10-minute headway on average, and there're additional Amtrak trains. On the other hand, a single 20-mph freight train would take about 20 minutes to go through the mostly 2-tracked High Line, without a siding long enough to take. If you want more freights, and in both directions, that would be a disaster.
 #1542143  by bostontrainguy

Amtrak trains to Maine was a no-starter.
Rebirth of the entire Old Colony Railroad was a pipe dream.
LIRR to Grand Central was impossible.

So it's not entirely out of the question. It is possible especially with the new Hudson/North River tunnels and probably new East River tunnels sometime in the future. This project must be future-proofed and it is being discussed. Even congressman Jerrold Nadler is behind it.

http://fourthplan.org/action/gateway

There are interesting possibilities although the recent loss of the proposed intermodal yard in Queens just east of the East River portals is a bit of a setback.

Construction of an intermodal rail-to-truck yard at a 100-acre (40 ha) site in the West Maspeth section of Queens. The location is near the intersection of Interstate 278 and Interstate 495. The project has received intense opposition for neighbors concerned about increased truck traffic on local streets that lead to the highway interchange.

This was a large long-vacant Phelps Dodge contaminated brownfield site well located and an exciting option for a NYC freight revival. BTW - The facility had it's own narrow gauge railroad and most of the tracks are still there.

Some freight proposal info here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_frei ... ong_Island

And this option has to be cheaper and quicker than the proposed new freight tunnel which may be overkill actually.
Last edited by bostontrainguy on Sat May 09, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1542160  by Greg Moore

Backshophoss wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:12 am This might have to wait untill Gateway is built,as both north(Hudson)River tube flex too much.
Roadrailer(Truckload) or Spine cars with 53 ft containers(Truckload),with a load limit of 64,000 lbs(to be road legal for the final mile(s)
to delivery. Also NO Haz-Mat loads thru the tunnels to keep FDNY happy, they could be floated over by NYNJ To Bay Ridge.
Set up an Intermodal yard at the old wye at Pinelawn on the Island as a central point to deliver to local industries/retail stores,
also Brookhaven where JB Hunt has a dedicated operations yard for Home Depot retail store deliveries.This would pull a lot of trucks
off the NYC expressways and the LIE(I-495)and cut the shipment costs.

The Major Fleets could set up local yards for a fleet of Day cabs instead of the OTR driver slogging thru NYC to deliver and in most cases leave the Island empty to get back to the mainland,slogging thru NYC a second time.
That's exactly my suggestion, to use this to help fund Gateway and use one of those tunnels, not to use the existing tunnels.
The existing tunnels are a definite non-starter.
 #1542206  by mtuandrew

Worth considering. Just, do us a favor and install some heavy-duty ventilation fans for when the trash trains roll by at 3am :P

Also worth asking: are we expecting these trains to be electric-powered, or do we want these to be diesels? I’m assuming no one is going to the BM&LP for Amtrak’s old E60CHs, so it’ll require new motors as well.
 #1542223  by Backshophoss

Trash and construction debris will always go via CSX to Selkirk, there's always something that could start a fire.
Believe FDNY considers trash as Haz=Mat for tunnel crossings