Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Amtrak7

Email 1:
Hudson Line Customers please be advised that all critical personnel are responding to an incident at Spuyten Duyil which may affect train service. As information becomes available, we will notify you as soon as possible. We thank you for your patience.
Email 2 and current alert:
Hudson line customer service is suspended due to a freight train derailment in the vicinity of Spuyten Duyvil. As information becomes available, we will notify you as soon as possible. We thank you for your patience.
Any details?
  by expbusop

Appears to be CSX northbound trash train 24 cars Fox reporting 10 cars derailed between Spyten Duyvil and Marble Hill
  by SecaucusJunction

I bet that smells wonderful on a day like today...
  by pnaw10

Latest update via MNR Facebook:
Hudson Line Service Alert: Hudson Line Service is temporarily suspended due to a freight train derailment in the vicinity of Spuyten Duyvil. Bus service will operate between Marble Hill and Riverdale Stations, where customers will be able to connect with shuttle train service. Customers are urged to use the Harlem Line for points of travel north and south of Spuyten Duyvil. Hudson Line tickets will be honored on the Harlem Line. Please listen for announcements at your station and continue to check this page for updates.
WABC-TV report further elaborates -- it happened inside the "rock cut" between SD and Marble Hill. Only two tracks there, and the freight is blocking both tracks. Not much wiggle room there. Story says MNR called this the "worst place possible" for a derailment... with the tight space in the cut, it'll be difficult to get equipment in there to remove the mess.

I can only imagine what a major pain this is for passengers. Not sure if buses are picking up right at the top of the stairs on W 225, or out on Broadway. Either way, can't turn left from 225 to Broadway, so the buses must have to go south across the bridge and find a place to turn around before heading toward Riverdale.

The southbound trip is a little less complicated, but W225 is one-way in front of the station, feeding into Broadway, so buses will have to go up 230th and loop around... or just let out on Broadway where the regular buses stop.

No ADA access at Marble Hill (or anything else between there and Yankees)... might be better to offer bus shuttles between North White Plains and Tarrytown.
Terrapin Station wrote:Oh man, this happened right below where I used to live. I would have had a great view of this from my apartment. Oh well. Maybe one of my former neighbors will get some photos for me.
I remember you once sharing a few shots from that vantage point... those were incredible shots! You definitely would have had a great view on this scene from there.
  by Tommy Meehan

FWIW right now the GCT departure board is not showing any Hudson Line service until the final 1 50 AM departure for Poughkeepsie. Link to board. The MNR home page shows service is temporarily suspended on the Hudson Line and riders are being advised to use the Harlem Line.

Probably take a while to get buses and trains in place, find enough crews and bus operators.

A real mess.
  by lirr42

Even the 1:50am train to Poughkeepsie is off the board now. Hopefully they can get things cleared up by the morning or there's going to be lots of headaches.
  by Backshophoss

According to the WCBS stream,shuttle buses between Marble Hill and Riverdale,AM rush may not happen,or
be a total farce.

Edit: Wonder if Amtrak will cross-honor MNR monthies into NY Penn??
  by 25Hz

Backshophoss wrote:According to the WCBS stream,shuttle buses between Marble Hill and Riverdale,AM rush may not happen,or
be a total farce.

Edit: Wonder if Amtrak will cross-honor MNR monthies into NY Penn??
That is not a bad idea.

Wondering if this recent heat wave has anything to do with this. Curved tracks & temperature extremes not a good combo.
  by Steamboat Willie

I highly doubt they will offset the ridership onto Amtrak. You will see quite a few people head to the Harlem line.
  by DutchRailnut

pictures at http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1235692" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by RearOfSignal

Yeah that looks pretty bad, what a mess.
  by Clean Cab

Looks bad, but I'll bet it smells even worse!!!
  by TacSupport1

Wow, Metro North can't seem to catch a break lately.