• Freight Along the Port Washington Branch

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by NIMBYkiller

That person would be me. Thanks for the update on that. Pretty cool.

by Dave Keller

You're quite welcome.

Dave Keller

by Nasadowsk

I know near the ex Elmhurst station, there's a freight siding in the bushes. No switch to it. Also, did the post office by Manhasett ever get it's mail from the LIRR? there's what looks to be a concrete area for a mini platform right on the opposite side of the platform there, in a position that looks like it had a passage to the post office.

What other freight was there on this line? I can't think of anything else.

Oyster bay also didn't have much - there WERE sidings at Glen Street, and at Sea Cliff someone had one too (it was a three track crossing), Locust Valley I think had remants of one until recently, and Oyster Bay served the waterfront. But, none of those were in service for years. I don't know when the last freight on the OB line was, but it was quite a while ago.

by Dave Keller

If you locate the earlier thread under similar title, created by Nimbykiller, you will find where I listed all the freight sidings that appeared on the Port Washington branch over the years.

I didn't keep a copy of it to re-post, but you should be able to go back to the initial thread and find the listing.

As for the Oyster Bay branch, there were a number of sidings along there, including a bunch at East Williston and let's not forget Jakobsen Shipyard in Oyster Bay (I once was a shipfitter and built tugboats there at an earlier time in my career! The siding was still in at the time, but we never received any freight during my tenure there: early 1980s. We did, however, once use the air-powered 1/4 turntable!)

Dave Keller
  by dukeoq

Freight at "East Willy" was west of Hillside Ave crossing, just after leaving Nassau's limits.
A brakeman was run to the crossing to insert his key into the box so that the gates would go up while we were in the " Mineola Hole"
The only consignee that I rememmber in there was Pittsburgh Plate Glass, but there were several others, including a lumber yard , and at trackside, a coal company.(Albertson Coal?)
JJ Earl

by CLiner2005

Nasadowsk:

Until the early fifties, perhaps later, there was a mail run with two MBM-62 RPO cars that I assume went to PW (can't recall). It left Penn Sta. at approximately 1:00AM and blasted thru Little Neck about :18-:20 minutes later.

It made a stop at Great Neck - again, I'm thinking that it continued on to PW, not sure if it made any drops at Manhasset or Plandome. That two-car train somehow stayed on the rails on the double-curve west of Douglaston - on either side of the old swing bridge. He'd start blowing for the LN grade crossing as son as he cleared Douglaston - contrary to some opinion, those MP-54/62 cars would really rip when they got wound-up.

About an hour or so after passing eastward thru LN, that job then ran west to Penn - its motors screaming. I also recall that Flushing had a mail chute on the eastbound platform just to the west of the platform-level waiting room. I'm not sure if the run I've described made a Flushing stop or not.
  by dukeoq

Pappy, check the thread about freight into the Hicksville PO.
I wrote a reply there concerning that MU mail job.
It was probably the same crew that did the other pickups around the railroad during the wee hours of the morning.
JJ Earl

by CLiner2005

JJ:

It likely was the same job - there were no cobwebs gathering between the wheels and rails for certain.

I may have mis-spoken by indicating the mail originated at NYP - I can't be sure if it was NYP or the Sunnyside Postal Center. Either way, that puppy really moved. My long time buddy, the late Richie Harrison, ran that job from time to time.

These were different times - RPO's as well as HPO's (Highway Post Office) utilizing the old Fagol/Twin Coach vehicles, mail bags being snagged by "mail cranes" and train orders on hoops being snagged by head-end/rear-end crews. Whoops, I'm waxing nostalgia.

Thanks for the rememberances of Hicksville.