Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Avidprime

Hi guys, Can anyone tell me about the tracks behind the businesses over by Freeport. Are those called "Team Tracks"? I've seen that term used here but I don't know why they are called that. Are those tracks active at all???

The reason why I ask is b/c this morning on the way into the city, I noticed several empty hopper cars sitting on the tracks behind one of those buildings. I ride the train 6 days a week and have never seen any train activity on those tracks so the hopper cars (which are new at that location) had me wondering. Any idea guys???

Thanks
Chris

by Dave Keller

OK . . . . .

Team tracks were the common freight sidings at most stations, accessibly to the public, unlike a private siding, which was usually not.

If you were a local merchant and had merchandise arriving by train, but did not have your own siding, you would see the agent at the depot and pick up your merchandise from cars spotted on the team tracks. If more than one team track, there was usually a path worn between the tracks to access the freight cars. Some of the larger locations had cobblestone-paved driveways between these tracks, due to the amount of use they received.

The term "Team Tracks" originated from the days of horse-drawn wagons, when you would arrive at the station to pick up your merchanside with your "team" of horses pulling your delivery wagon.

Same use of the term when referring to the Teamsters union, because the early "truck drivers" drove a team of horses at the front of their delivery wagons.

Dave
  by Avidprime

Thanks Dave, Great Explanation

by newkirk

About that single track that joins the eastbound Montauk Div. For years I always noticed every forth or fifth tie an extended tie used for third rail. Was this track part of the grade crossing elimination ?

by Dave Keller

Sidings were electrified on the LIRR so electric DD1 locomotives could switch freight, which they did quite regularly.

The DD1s were all retired from service by January, 1952 and the third rails removed from sidings throughout 1951 as a result.

The Freeport grade elimination project was in 1958, long after electrified sidings were a thing of the past.

That track of which you speak was not a "temporary" part of the elimination project, but a planned result of it. The "new" lead track led from the eastbound Montauk branch back westward to the freight yard and was never electrified, nor were the three (3) team tracks in the yard.

I have no idea as to why the LIRR used 3rd rail ties in laying that track. Perhaps in 1958 there was some future idea of electrifying the lead track, but for what purpose, I have no idea. There were no more electric road locomotives in use on the LIRR at that time.

The track was never electrified though, at any time after its construction, per Bob Emery's map notes.

Dave

by Dave Keller

I amend my above posting to read "The Freeport grade elimination project was in 1960. . ."

Dave :wink: