Railroad Forums 

• Framingham/Worcester Line Questions

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1548243  by Boatsmate75

the New CP in Newton looks like it is just about to be put into service. On Saturday on my way to work on the pike I noticed the Lights had been turned to face to track abd have been turned on and where red in both directions. the other set of lights (non CP were still active also). Lots of MBTA signal personal on scene also.
 #1548309  by Rockingham Racer

Looks to be only a 40 MPH crossover. Are higher speed crossovers more expensive? I'm thinking of the #32 crossovers installed between BOS and NHV when the Shoreline was electrified. If the new East-West proposal ever happens, they're going to have to do better than this, one would think.
 #1548350  by BandA

Looks like it is in Brighton as it is east of Brook St. Is that a replacement or a new crossover? I assume trains going straight can go track speed, only trains crossing over are limited to 40?

It took them a very long time to build that CP
Last edited by BandA on Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1548359  by Trinnau

#20 45mph crossovers, which is what most of the new locations have been. The #32 crossovers are good for 80mph, but take a lot more maintenance, are more expensive to purchase and need a lot more physical space because they are longer. When this interlocking was designed the speed on the line was still only 60mph.
 #1548418  by BandA

Dope slap for me, yes universal crossover. The town line is about 2000 feet to the west, looking from the Pike or the train, the park is in Newton and the business next to it is in Brighton. Also, if you wanted to access the Grand Junction from the west (cough, cough), you would need to be on Track 1 or use the crossover at CP6 to access Track 2.

Going east, the next crossover is at the former Cottage Farm / University (i.e. by the Comm Ave Bridge & BU Bridge). Spent many an evening commute sitting there for an extra 10+ minutes.
 #1573847  by rethcir

From @NewtonMAMayor: More good news from MBTA – Tesler and Poftak also committed to funding a 30% design for all three commuter rail stations in Newton for dual, 800-foot long platforms and full accessibility.

Hopefully this doesn't mean "we'll design one of the three and that's it"
 #1579960  by johnpbarlow

Here are 3 pix of the current status of the Natick MBTA re-construction as of Saturday 9/4/21. Note in the middle photo, IMG_9969, the high level platform supports are many feet from the existing "outbound" track location. I'm guessing that track will be realigned along the yellow-white line painted in the ballast so making room in the center for the proposed 3rd track.
Attachments:
IMG_9967.jpg
IMG_9967.jpg (1.98 MiB) Viewed 1441 times
IMG_9969.jpg
IMG_9969.jpg (2.84 MiB) Viewed 1441 times
IMG_9971.jpg
IMG_9971.jpg (2.71 MiB) Viewed 1441 times
 #1579995  by BandA

Wow! How much land was taken for this station project? I assume they are reversing the freight undercut, and adding back the third track.