Railroad Forums 

• FRA Enhanced Long Distance Network Map

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1627132  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:32 am Right on, Mr. Halstead.

Which is more "Fantasyland"; this one from the FRA, or Amtrak's ConnectUS prepared (along with every other agency in town touting their programs) for the incoming Biden administration?
Yes.

However, there are some efforts to push more service, and it's gotten folks talking.
 #1627141  by Gilbert B Norman

I think much of this "talk talk #1, baby-san" has arisen in that CPKC, as a merger condition, has to "talk about" new service. Towards that end, a second CHI-STP frequency (roundly on MILW #5, Morning Hi's, schedule) could well come to pass.

Now for what it be worth, NARP (whoops, RPA nowadays) is having a "powwow" during October; and guess where? Meridian, MS!! Who knows, maybe with enough "war whooping" down there CPKC will allow the proposed Meridian-Dallas train to run.
 #1627191  by STrRedWolf

wigwagfan wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:42 pm
STrRedWolf wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:38 am However, there are some efforts to push more service, and it's gotten folks talking.
People have been talking for decades. Nothing is new.
It's been a low murmur tempered by the lack of cash. Now that there's more cash, voices are getting raised.
 #1627278  by eolesen

Voices are getting raised because they know there's Consulting fees to be pilferred from the taxpayers. It's time to spend millions and millions on studies for no benefit as an outcome.

Line up at the trough, boys.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

#1627326  by WashingtonPark

eolesen wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:34 pm Voices are getting raised because they know there's Consulting fees to be pilferred from the taxpayers. It's time to spend millions and millions on studies for no benefit as an outcome.

Line up at the trough, boys.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
You've got that right. They can't even put station agents at a dangerous stop like Ashland where volunteers have to stand in the middle of a road bed to try to see what track the incoming train is on, but there's millions to pay off consulting firms to do studies on routes that realistically will never come to be.
 #1627382  by Steamguy73

I think this situation can exist where the governments use most of that money on “studies” and don’t go anywhere, and that some people can get new services.

Am I saying that by 2035 that all of the connects us l services will either be in service or in progression of being made? No. But even on the “fantasy map”, there are at least a handful of projects that have been completed or are in the process of being done: the 2nd Pennsylvanian Frequency, the Chicago to Minneapolis 2nd train, the Ethan Allen extension, Gulf Coast, Christianburg VA, all projects we know for a fact will get done in the short term or have already been done.

To put it shortly, I think you may see at least a few more of these things completed, depending on circumstances related to how much a state wants it. I could expect most of the improvements to be done or very much in progress in Virginia and North Carolina by 2035, but not for say Arizona.

In terms of long distance services? Similar situation but to a larger scale, very dependent on the states, and how much Amtrak actually wants certain services. So maybe 3-4 of these long distance proposals actually get done out of the like 30.
 #1627772  by Frank

Any kind of improvement in Amtrak service is better than what we have now.

Who know? If they continue at it, maybe something will be done.
 #1627779  by west point

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:14 am Now for what it be worth, NARP (whoops, RPA nowadays) is having a "powwow" during October; and guess where? Meridian, MS!! Who knows, maybe with enough "war whooping" down there CPKC will allow the proposed Meridian-Dallas train to run.
Do not forget that for that service to start Amtrak will have to deal with UP from Shreveport - Marshall - DFW.
 #1627781  by Gilbert B Norman

From Aboard Rail Jet 111 enroute to Villach AT-
(and where the WiFi works just fine)

Of interest, the consensus I get from those willing to talk with me who have been over to the USA. I've met several who have been to the Northeast and "Amtrak is just fine". Also met a couple who did NY-LA (in a Roomette) " just to cramped" and too long".
 #1627783  by StLouSteve

Midlands Steve wrote: " . . . and no service east of St. Louis since late 1979."

Wait, you're forgetting about the rail service through your hometown of Belleville, IL that connected KC and STL with CONO (and if I recall correctly had a through sleeper and/or dome). It's now a connecting van but was a train connection in the 80s (early 90s?).

OK, it only went east a hundred miles or so but still it allowed someone in STL to use an eastern region rail pass by just adding an inexpensive connecting fare.
 #1627874  by Tadman

wigwagfan wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:04 pm Hey, look kids! Someone drew a map!
Yep. And not a very useful map, either. This map or one like it surfaces every few years and does little other than waste study money.

Meanwhile they haven't got the Duluth or Mobile trains off the ground yet. Those are two very useful trains and we need more of routes like that. But instead we are talking about inland Coast Starlight routes becuase folks need a lift between Chico and Bakersfield or something.
 #1627877  by rcthompson04

Tadman wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:13 pm
wigwagfan wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:04 pm Hey, look kids! Someone drew a map!
Yep. And not a very useful map, either. This map or one like it surfaces every few years and does little other than waste study money.

Meanwhile they haven't got the Duluth or Mobile trains off the ground yet. Those are two very useful trains and we need more of routes like that. But instead we are talking about inland Coast Starlight routes becuase folks need a lift between Chico and Bakersfield or something.
There is a whole segment of people who think these aspirational maps will encourage more people to push for more money for passenger rail. They don’t ever seem to get mugged by reality unfortunately.