• Former coach and tanks in LIC outside the tunnel

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Lupo 10

I wanted to ask a question about this coach. Its been there for years. Most of us probably know what I'm talking about but if you don't the coach and tanks are just outside the East River tunnel (Line 4?) in LI City. I think the coach is one of the former BM coaches.

Here's the question. About a month ago I noticed plywood going up around the sides and ends covering the windows. The plywood sloped downwards and was not flat up against the sides. Almost forming a plywood "tent" if you will around the sides. It was up for maybe a week then taken down. Now of course I get to see this view speeding out of the tunnel everyday and don't get to inspect it too carefully so its still hard to see if anything has changed. Who put up the plywood, what was it for and what did they do? Anyone know?

Thanks

by Lirr168

I was actually wondering about the same thing, Lupo. About a week, my train out of Penn caught a stop signal coming out of the tunnel and my car was close enough to the coach that I could get a decent look. At the time, there was some yellow-painted equipment moved inside the coach, and my original guess was that the coach was being converted for storage by the MOW guys because I have noticed a lot of activity in that area the past few weeks. That's a complete guess though, if anyone knows for sure, I'd love to hear.

by Long Island 7285

Are you's talking about the EX B&M light weight thats in LIC?

by bluebelly

Maybe they are converting it into a Greasey Spoon! Just kidding. The cars in question are (or rather were) undergoing asbestos abatement, as well as lead and other hazardous material removal prior to being scrapped in place then carted away in pieces. The Haz-mat removal is finished and I believe they started tearing them up today. The same thing will be done to the car in LIC as well.

by DogBert

asbestos abatement?

that car has been lingering around the LIC area for at least 6 or 7 years now (the one by the tunnel - I believe it is number W85 or 86, used for awhile as an alcohol spray car) I recall while it was up in yard A there was a very scruffy old guy that looked a bit like santa claus living inside of it.

with a few windows gone and doors wide open, it just makes one wonder how much asbestos got out and blew around town, or if old santa isn't fireproof now as a result of his stay in the lic hobo hotel...

by BMC

It was asbestos abatement prior to scrapping. Same thing being done with a storage car in my yard which is where that crew is.

by Lupo 10

Thanks for the answer. That's why I love this place. Very rarely does someone NOT have the answer to your questions.

by LIengineerBob

I seen the crane chomping away at the coach today, and the two tank cars are now reduced to a pile of useless scrap metal. Too bad about one of the tank cars as one of them dated from 1916. More "classic" equiptment reduced to razor blades!!

by Long Island 7285

waht a shame

by Lupo 10

I saw it last night coming out of the tunnel. Nothing left except a small pile of truck springs and other various smaller parts. The coach was a crumpled up pile of white a bit further down. I'm guessing today there will be nothing at all left to see. But in reality the cars were so far gone that they could only move by truck if anyone wanted them and even then they would be static displays at best. Time to move on.

by kmart

I dont know about amtrak,but I know the long island,(MTA)doesnt give a damn about its glorious history....tear it down,grind it up, cart it away.

by Long Island 7285

during the 50/60s the lirr president was like that. distroied a crap load of historical buildings and landmarks.

by BMC

That car has been there many years. It was obviously no use to the LIRR, but if anybody wanted to preserve it they should have inquired about it. Years ago a similar car that was in Yard A was moved on a flat bed and now sits as a tourism car at the intersection of 112 and 347 in Port Jefferson. Another one sits at the rest area on exit 51 of the LIE.

In its current status the LIC car was way beyond repair and as previously noted contains abestos. I'm all for preserving railroad heritage and history, but don't criticize the RR for not doing anything about the car and don't cry for something that was probably no longer restorable.

by Lupo 10

My organization did check them out once from the road. We determined we were not interested because they were so far gone. There's more road worthy stuff out there to save.

by UN Block

To All:

To update the "Bob Emery Roster," does anyone know exactly which alcohol spray car it was? W-85 or W-86?

Us roster-nuts need to know! :-)