• Flexible dining for sleeping car passengers

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by jonnhrr

Planning a trip from Dallas to Boston in April and I was wondering how the "Flexible Dining" works now under COVID for sleeping car passengers. From what I have read it implies that you don't eat in the dining car anymore, are meals brought to you by the attendant for you to consume in your room? This is our first trip in a couple of years.

Jon
  by J.D. Lang

I took a trip last July from NYP to Chicago on the LSL and then on the Cardinal from Chicago back to NYP in a sleeper on both trains. On the LSL you could eat in the VII diner or take your meal back to your room. There were not many people in the sleepers and they had every other table blocked off for social distancing so I choose to take in my first experience in the beautiful VII diner. On the Cardinal they have the dinette light car and you could not sit in there. Your car attendant would give you a menu, take your order, then bring you the food.

I haven't been on any superliner trains since Covid-19 but I've watched a couple of youtube videos of being on the SW Chief and those diners where closed with your attendant taking the order and bringing the meal to your room.
  by jonnhrr

OK thanks. Will be interesting to see how they handle it on the Texas Eagle.

Jon