• First time traveling Amtrak, suggestions?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by TAMR213

Hi everyone, me and a family friend will be traveling Amtrak for the first time later this year in october, up to Syracuse for Super dirt week. Any suggestions? Hears the trains we will be taking:

-New Jersey Transit from Central Jersey on the NEC to New York Penn

-Train: 63
To: Syracuse on 10/07/04
Departs: 7:15am 10/07/04
Arrives: 12:45pm 10/07/04
Additional Services: Reserved Coach

-Train: 286
To: New York-Penn. Station on 10/11/04
Departs: 12:08pm 10/11/04
Arrives: 5:55pm 10/11/04

-Train: 175
To: Metropark on 10/11/04
Departs: 7:35pm 10/11/04
Arrives: 8:08pm 10/11/04

Any suggestions for the trip? Its already booked so it can't change, but I figured I would ask for suggestions just so we don't miss the train and so the trip can be as much a good experience as possible. Thanks.

by Jersey_Mike

First, remember to sit trackside.

Second, don't wait in line at penn in the main concourse. Empire trains always use track 6 so use the NJT concourse to get down onto the platform and get the primo seats.

Third, make sure you get out and watch the power change at ALB.

Finally, try to be in the last car so you can look out the back.

by LI Loco

Going north, sit on the left side of the train so you can enjoy views of the Hudson and Mohawk Valleys. Coming back, sit on the right side.

In Syracuse, try to get to the Dinosaur Barbeque for some kickass food and good times.

by TAMR213

Yep, we're gonna be hitting the Dinosour.

by LI Loco

I recommend the brisket.

I read that Dinosaur may be opening a restaurant in Upper Manhattan under the Riverside Drive viaduct in the W. 130s; walking distance from my office. :)

by TAMR213

I also hear that Dinosaurs is almost as good as Big Ed's BBQ (an Infamous central Jersey Establishment, hell, a band even made a song about the place).

Anyway, anyone else have some good suggestions?

by Otto Vondrak

The Dino in Syracuse is ok... but Rochester has it beat HANDS DOWN!! And you bet I'll be on line when the Harlem branch opens this October!!

When your train stops in Albany, you'll have a few minutes to look around while they switch engines. Have not been to the new station yet, bu in the old days you could run up to the head end and take photos, run into the station and buy train magazines, etc.

Make sure you sit on the left side of your train- that's the river side. best scenery.

You wont go through Selkirk, but you'll see all sorts of other good stuff besides.

Bring a walkman/mp3 player. It's a long trip from NYP.

-otto-

by Olton Hall

Jersey_Mike wrote:Second, don't wait in line at penn in the main concourse. Empire trains always use track 6 so use the NJT concourse to get down onto the platform and get the primo seats.
You will need to be in the main Amtrak area to see/hear the boarding annoucement since they don't post Amtrak trains in either NJT concourse. Hang out by the stair cases in the middle of the floor (one near the big board) When they annouce the train, head down one level, find the track and walk down to your train avoiding the line.

by AmtrakFan

I would get there at least an 1 hr early also expect it to be late also Remember Every Trip is an Adventure. Also What is the Dinousar.

AmtrakFan[/b]

by whistler162

AmtrakFan wrote:I would get there at least an 1 hr early also expect it to be late also Remember Every Trip is an Adventure. Also What is the Dinousar.

AmtrakFan[/b]
http://www.dinosaurbarbque.com/

by Railjunkie

Empire trains use tracks 5-9, 5 and 6 being most common. Once you get to NYP stay on lower level and follow signs to tracks 10-11 there you will find stairs leading up to second level and you should be able to have a good view of the departure board. Once in SYR the station also serves as a bus station with local buses and of course cabs.

Train 63 has an engine change in ALB if you would care to watch you can but stay on the high level platform if you need something to read there is a book store upstairs along with a coffee shop. Please be sure to listen for your reboarding call as the stop in ALB is only about 10 min depending on weather you are on time or not.

by Greg Moore

As was pointed out, Empire trains can leave from tracks other than 6 (and in fact I've been almost caught on the wrong platform before.)

Are we sure train 63 always does an engine change? I know many of the trains simply refuel at Albany and continue along.

Unfortunately, what would appear to be the best place to view an engine change (from the walkway above the tracks) generally doesn't work for north/west bound trains since the Herrick Street Bridge is in the way.

You may want to consider bringing your own snacks as the food car can get pricey.

Otherwise, should be a good trip.

by Otto Vondrak

Also- be prepared for a 6 hour trip to turn into an 8 hour one... it's just the nature of the beast. I never rode an Empire train that was ever less than an hour late. It's just the nature of the route.

-otto-
  by Gilbert B Norman

This sounds like a great "intro" trip, Mr. Romatowski.

You will have ridden a "stretch" over which I have yet to travel, namely Penn to Spuyten Duyvil (thank you Google for spelling that one for me; thank you Bill Gates for developing Windows with a Cut and Paste feature).

I guess I must concur with Mr. Moore regarding price levels of Amtrak snack bar fare, even though for convenience, I would hope you would choose not to bring your own. However, you will find the food to be quite edible (not about to say same regarding an SNCF "bistro" unless things have improved since I was "last over").

To diverge slightly from topic, I must wonder if lower snack bar prices (at least for food and non alcoholic beverages) would translate into less people "bringing their own'. This could only translate into less labor hours for car cleaning and reduce the possibility of someone bringing a malodorus food item aboard.

Traveling about during the "fifties/sixties", "bring your own" was quite commonplace. Some trains offered "newsbutch" at your seat service, but others only offered dining service, where the minimum item was invariably a $3 (that's 1955 bucks, folks) ham sandwich. I can recall once riding "early sixties' the Empire State Express, GCT-Buffalo, in coach. Lunch was called (the "NBC" chimes back then) and I asked the lady sitting next to excuse me. She did of course but not without a "lecture" of sorts about spending "that kind of money for a lunch".
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

by LI Loco

Otto Vondrak wrote:The Dino in Syracuse is ok... but Rochester has it beat HANDS DOWN!! And you bet I'll be on line when the Harlem branch opens this October!!
They're both great, Otto. You probably like the Rochester store better because it's in the old Lehigh Valley RR station and on the same street the Rochester subway used to take. :wink:

Since I work at City College, I expect to become a regular at the NYC Dino, provided I can still keep my arteries unclogged. :)