• Feb 8-9 nor'easter...

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by airman00

Blocked what? We still got 12-15 inches+ of snow in those areas. We maybe got spared the worst, but we still got hit hard.
  by 25Hz

airman00 wrote:Blocked what? We still got 12-15 inches+ of snow in those areas. We maybe got spared the worst, but we still got hit hard.
The wind?
  by Jtgshu

I think the issue is the substations and catenary, not the snow. Remember the power isn't all the way back to normal over there. And there probably isn't the diesels available to run into Hoboken, and Hoboken still has issues, so a full diversion there isn't really an option.
  by morris&essex4ever

airman00 wrote:Blocked what? We still got 12-15 inches+ of snow in those areas. We maybe got spared the worst, but we still got hit hard.
Then, it's amazing how the Erie Lines were able to maintain service despite the snowfall amounts!
  by Steve F45

PVL/MAIN/BCL don't have overhead wires to come down. I heard PVL trains running all night till I had my last smoke around 11pm.
  by airman00

morris&essex4ever wrote:
Then, it's amazing how the Erie Lines were able to maintain service despite the snowfall amounts!
Yes, I know trains can run in the snow. Actually it's kinda cool to see trains running in the snow. My point is that nobody thinks about passenger safety or crew safety in storms like this. What do passengers do when they get to there destination and everything is closed up there's a blizzard going on?
  by 25Hz

After Irene with the flooding through trenton, the station was open, and they had food there. There were a few folks that were stranded there, about 20 or so. I went to see what was going on with the flooding and ended up grabbing a slice of buffalo chicken pizza... Hoboken has no food available right now, so having it open makes no sense. it doesn't even have working toilets. You'd end up having people stay in trains. Not a good idea. In addition there could have been flooding with the storm surge. At least PVL and ML/PJL can connect to the NEC and secaucus has food and heated areas. Shutting down the MBL and M&E allows them to stash the electrics so there's no issue with the catenary, and lets them lash together a few locos and run snow clearing trains, and allows them to stash the unused equipment in a safe spot for easy access after the storm
  by morris&essex4ever

Hoboken has no food available?
  by sixty-six

25Hz wrote:After Irene with the flooding through trenton, the station was open, and they had food there. There were a few folks that were stranded there, about 20 or so. I went to see what was going on with the flooding and ended up grabbing a slice of buffalo chicken pizza... Hoboken has no food available right now, so having it open makes no sense. it doesn't even have working toilets. You'd end up having people stay in trains. Not a good idea. In addition there could have been flooding with the storm surge. At least PVL and ML/PJL can connect to the NEC and secaucus has food and heated areas. Shutting down the MBL and M&E allows them to stash the electrics so there's no issue with the catenary, and lets them lash together a few locos and run snow clearing trains, and allows them to stash the unused equipment in a safe spot for easy access after the storm
Hoboken has working toilets on track 8, and food within walking distance. Thanks for coming in and playing "railroad manager tycoon".
  by Ken S.

sixty-six wrote:
25Hz wrote:After Irene with the flooding through trenton, the station was open, and they had food there. There were a few folks that were stranded there, about 20 or so. I went to see what was going on with the flooding and ended up grabbing a slice of buffalo chicken pizza... Hoboken has no food available right now, so having it open makes no sense. it doesn't even have working toilets. You'd end up having people stay in trains. Not a good idea. In addition there could have been flooding with the storm surge. At least PVL and ML/PJL can connect to the NEC and secaucus has food and heated areas. Shutting down the MBL and M&E allows them to stash the electrics so there's no issue with the catenary, and lets them lash together a few locos and run snow clearing trains, and allows them to stash the unused equipment in a safe spot for easy access after the storm
morris&essex4ever wrote:Hoboken has no food available?
Hoboken has working toilets on track 8, and food within walking distance. Thanks for coming in and playing "railroad manager tycoon".
Dover on the other hand could use some MAJOR upgrades to the amenities. These days unless I'm going to Newark, I'm usually taking Lakeland Bus since their waiting room has a toilet that doesn't require having to chase a crew member down to let you back there to use it.
  by 25Hz

No. All the places on ground level were flooded out. Even my favorite 2 snack shops in NJ, the bakery & the hudson news stand, were ruined by the flooding.
sixty-six wrote:Hoboken has working toilets on track 8, and food within walking distance. Thanks for coming in and playing "railroad manager tycoon".
In reality the terminal INSIDE is basically a glorified bus shelter till they fix all the flood damage. No one is going to want to go outside in the middle of a winter storm to use a bathroom in a railcar. Day to day it might work for now, but during a winter storm, it's impractical. People are better off waiting at newark broad street or secaucus.
  by sixty-six

25Hz wrote:
No. All the places on ground level were flooded out. Even my favorite 2 snack shops in NJ, the bakery & the hudson news stand, were ruined by the flooding.
sixty-six wrote:Hoboken has working toilets on track 8, and food within walking distance. Thanks for coming in and playing "railroad manager tycoon".
In reality the terminal INSIDE is basically a glorified bus shelter till they fix all the flood damage. No one is going to want to go outside in the middle of a winter storm to use a bathroom in a railcar. Day to day it might work for now, but during a winter storm, it's impractical. People are better off waiting at newark broad street or secaucus.
You do realize that the walk from the waiting room to track 8 is only a few yards, and the only "elements" one is exposed to while walking there is the cold and maybe a few snowflakes, since the platform area is, you know, under a shed.
  by 25Hz

Yea, and it's right off the river, which means during a storm you have big wind gusts. They should have shut all hoboken service or terminated at broad street/secaucus.

Few years back i was walking from the PATH to the light rail station during a noreaster, and i could barely walk against the wind. The wall by track 1 does help a bit, but it doesn't block everything.... All kids of trash and grit and dust was swirling around and there were countless broken umbrellas (from the wind) in the trash cans... :\
  by sixty-six

25Hz wrote:Yea, and it's right off the river, which means during a storm you have big wind gusts. They should have shut all hoboken service or terminated at broad street/secaucus.

Few years back i was walking from the PATH to the light rail station during a noreaster, and i could barely walk against the wind. The wall by track 1 does help a bit, but it doesn't block everything.... All kids of trash and grit and dust was swirling around and there were countless broken umbrellas (from the wind) in the trash cans... :\
The building blocks most of the wind, most you'll get is a gentle breeze (source: I've actually worked in Hoboken during storms). And if you terminate service at Broad/Secaucus, how do you get Hoboken-based crews back to Hoboken? Where do you store all the equipment? Where will the crews rest? Where do evening crews sign up? Thanks for coming in.
  by ACeInTheHole

sixty-six wrote:
25Hz wrote:Yea, and it's right off the river, which means during a storm you have big wind gusts. They should have shut all hoboken service or terminated at broad street/secaucus.

The building blocks most of the wind, most you'll get is a gentle breeze (source: I've actually worked in Hoboken during storms). And if you terminate service at Broad/Secaucus, how do you get Hoboken-based crews back to Hoboken? Where do you store all the equipment? Where will the crews rest? Where do evening crews sign up? Thanks for coming in.
Not even just that, terminating trains at broad street would cause an epic bottleneck, it's only a 3 track station, serving three lines, you can't expect it to serve as a realistic turnaround point. You'd have trains stacked up for miles waiting for a platform, and that's before getting into what sixty-six even said about crew and equipment storage logistics.