• Favorite Restaurants for Metropolitan Boston Buffs

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by 3rdrail

I'll start it off. My first entry is going to be a nostalgic one, and it actually was used as a cooling off spot for many of my treks photographing the T. Unfortunately, it's no longer there. It was a place on Beacon Hill and was the best kept secret in Boston. Located on Joy St., it was a little place called "Dante's", which as the name might imply, was on a steep part of Joy down in a basement with a rear terrace garden where you could also dine. In the winter, there was a roaring fire in the fireplace, and the wall had numerous professionally done frescoes depicting scenes from "Dante's Inferno". It was wonderfully romantic (and it was the only place that I brought young ladies). With low level music playing in the background from anywhere from Placido Domingo to Frank Sinatra, Italian was the specialty, and it was first grade Italian fare, complete with salad and bread. The Veal Parmagiana was absolutely magnificent. Dinner for two with a carafe of vino, salad, bread, and desert - $12.00 !!!
  by Teamdriver

Well ,My Rail , if you want to wax nostalgia , I submit the Irish Village on Market street Brighton. Hand made burghers, onioned up , pint of beer, dont get much better!

''A neighborhood staple, the Irish Village has been a Brighton landmark since the early 1970’s. Originally owned by Peter Lee, a Galway native new to America, the Irish Village offered other Irish immigrants a taste of home. The warm and welcoming atmosphere quickly drew in others of non-Irish descent, turning the Irish Village into a neighborhood pub in the truest sense.

In 1990, Peter’s sons took over the bar’s management. The bar continued to flourish as a neighborhood meeting spot, and also became known as one of the best places an Irish emigrant could go to quickly get assimilated into the local Irish scene. Changes were made to update the bar’s atmosphere, but much remained the same. The bar began sponsoring a team in the Massachusetts Amateur Soccer League called the Irish Village Soccer Club, and continued to be a strong tie to the Irish community of Boston.''

Hours | Open 7 days a week from 11AM – 1AM
http://irishvillagebrighton.com/about/
  by jbvb

I don't think I've been in Doyle's on Washington St. more than once since the Orange Line El was torn down, but AFAIK it's still there.

If the Canal St. loop was still there, the Boston Brewing Co. on Canal St. would have an excellent view of the action. Otherwise, a nice place to stop on your way to a train, provided nothing's going on at the Garden.

The Tap on Washington St. in Haverhill brews a good beer and their deck has an excellent view of the B&M bridge over the river in summer. But an employee I know preferred The Lasting Room up the street - possibly he wanted a major brand (not sold at The Tap).
  by TomNelligan

The Iron Horse at the old North Station/Garden deserves to be remembered for the beers I had there over the years while waiting for B&M trains, but the small bar in the new waiting room (whose name I forget at the moment) actually allows you to see the trains coming and going. Not a bad place to kill time, at least when it's open.

More generally, there are a number of pubs along both Beacon Street and Comm Ave that offer a view of the Green Line if you sit by a street-side window.
  by StevieC48

On the Blue Line there are many. I will list the station and then list the eateries;

Wonderland: Kelly's on the beach. Its a small walk from the station on the beach
Beachmont: Dominios: Great subs. Louigis: Pizza and Subs. Beachmont Roast Beef: Roast Beef Sandwiches etc. Torettas: Bakery and Ice cream shops/ Makes Great slush on premises. Dunkin Donuts: Coffee
Wood Island: Jevallis: Fine Italian fare.
Airport: Santarpios: Bar pizza

I have been to all the above eateries and they are good. Some spots like Beachmont there are a few places you can see and hear the trains come and go.