Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Favorite equment

DM's
No votes
0%
DE's
8%
M7's
8%
M1's
12%
M3's
16%
C3's
8%
P72's
48%
  by Mr Met

VOTE :D :D :wink:
Last edited by Mr Met on Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:38 am, edited 4 times in total.

by Richard Glueck

I can't vote unless you include G5's, H-10's, and tuscan red P54's. You could include FM C-Liners and a variety of grey coaches with red and gold circles on their flanks.
What is listed in the poll is nothing to a true LIRR fan. SOrry. It's strictly MTA rapid transit stuff. It lacks soul.

by DutchRailnut

I hate :( polls

by Nasadowsk

I'm guessing he didn't include the old stuff because it hasn't run in 30 years....

by Dave Keller

And not a single choice of ALCO units, either!

And quite a bunch there were: S1, S2, RS1, RS2, RS3, C420 (both orders)

Dave Keller

P.S. And for the electric fans: don't forget the MP41s (Gibbs-style cars) as well as the B3 and DD1 locomotives DK

by lirrmike

I agree Dave! Where are the ALCOs? So what if they're more than 30 yrs old, better then what's running today! Have you seen a DM/DE lately? Smoking up like an ALCO.

Mike

by emfinite

You better add the ALCO's and EMD's up there before I vote. Shame on you!

by CLiner2005

Suggestion on the poll; there are members of this forum who may be in their 70's, 80's, perhaps even their 90's. They have memories of equipment that operated on the LIRR that is no longer on the roster, but is still fondly remembered for many reasons. Therefore, I suggest that the poll include equipment rostered from 1930 to the present. That's 74 years - a ninety year-old would have been sixteen in 1930 - an age where memories are well-formed.

Just a thought.
  by Head-end View

Is "equment" anything like "equipment"?

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself!

by Lupo 10

How about this poll. If you had a magic wand that could instantly restore equipment, which piece currently being restored that is on Long Island right now would you choose. You have to choose only one because the wand is only good once. LOL

And the G-5's don't count. That's too easy! We all know we'd pick those first.

Of course it's not multiple choice since I don't know how to put a poll out there but go ahead and just shout out random answers.

by lirrmike

The RS3 out in Riverhead. Into World's Fair colors.

Mike

by emfinite

I would love to see C-420 #200 running up and down the mainline again with a line of grey and orange coaches.

by 9C1LT1

I aggree, there should be more of a choice of equipment. Where are those Geep 38's...(GP-38-2) A C-420 would be nice to see! A steamer highballing down the main would be very nice to see!

-Barry

by Lupo 10

lirrmike,

The RS-3 is one of my favorites as well. Twin Forks has been slowly working on the cosmetic restoration of the unit for RMLI.

If you want to help and you're a member of RMLI (or if you want to become a Twin Forks member) let me know and I'll inform you the next time we'll be out there. The only hitch is that you need to be a member of one of the groups for liability purposes but that shouldn't deter you. It's hard work but great fun.

by LI Loco

The poll should be in categories:

Favorite steam
Favorite pre-MTA diesel
Favorite MTA-era diesel
Favorite pre-MTA passenger car
Favorite MTA-era passenger car

My choices:

Favorite steam - G5
Favorite pre-MTA diesel - C-420
Favorite MTA-era diesel - GP-38-2
Favorite pre-MTA passenger car - MP72 double decker
Favorite MTA-era passenger car - Tie - C-3 bilevel coach, ex-Kansas City Southern coaches