Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#141815  by Majinvegeta

Which elevated/outdoor line do u guys like and why?
Last edited by Majinvegeta on Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

#141850  by Frank

The J/Z line. I like riding the R42s down to Manhattan. Some great views of Manhattan and the express portion gets some good speed! :-D
 #141861  by Noel Weaver

I am not a big, big fan of the New York City subway system but there are
two really fabulous lines to ride in my opinion.
1. The line to the Rockaways in Queens, former LIRR lines that go right
out over the water for miles and do some pretty good running in the
process.
2. The Dyre Avenue line which was once a portion of the New York,
Westchester and Boston. When you ride that line, you can appreciate the
construction standards that went into building the Westchester.
As a historic note, the old Myrtle Avenue EL in Brooklyn. At the time the
line was closed down, the wooden cars running on it were the last wooden
cars in common carrier use in the entire United States. I was sorry to see
it go and rode the last regular train on it.
Noel Weaver

#141896  by orangeline

In 1980-82 I lived in Woodside Queens and I frequently rode the #7 Flushing line. The massive viaduct in the middle of Queens Blvd changing to a traditional elevated over Roosevelt Ave made for a great ride.

#141970  by Robert Paniagua

Well, I could only vote for the F Line to Coney Island, but I have more than that, In addition to that one, I also like it's partner open-air D line to Coney Island, both Rockaway Extensions of the A line and Rockaway Park Shuttle, and the N line over 31st Street till Ditmars/Astoria. All three remind me of the now lost MBTA Washington Street Main Line (Orange) elevated, which closed April/May 1987.
 #142042  by Guest

The Sea Beach is a nice line in some parts, it reminds me of the Brighton & The Esplanade Lines

#144907  by R384149

my favorate is probably the Jamaica El, nice to always get an rf window (although that wont be for much long) and ive prolly rode the J more then any other line.

#144924  by mb41

Can I say all of them ;) now that all the Boston El's are gone I am happy NY still has them.