Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1635353  by justalurker66

Regardless of cause, crash-worthyness is a common feature in NTSB reports:
"The evidence indicates that the fatal injury was sustained by the impact force of the rear of the box truck with the cab car sidewall near the passenger’s seating location, and not as a result of the ejection itself."
 #1635362  by west point

Have to wonder of those of us who are acutely aware of grade crossing dangers do this. Always have clearance on far side of grade crossing and have enough momentum to roll over the crossing if engine dies? Thaat of course does not preclude the problem of low centering.
 #1635375  by eolesen

As someone who passes by the site of the school bus collision site daily, I certainly do...

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

#1635411  by John_Perkowski

My brothers in law live in vicinity of Cary and Round Lake. Why does not Illinois DOT build more overpasses to separate Metra from auto traffic?
 #1635419  by ExCon90

west point wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:00 pm Have to wonder of those of us who are acutely aware of grade crossing dangers do this. Always have clearance on far side of grade crossing and have enough momentum to roll over the crossing if engine dies? Thaat of course does not preclude the problem of low centering.
There were several faults in the traffic signalization at that crossing, but the proximate cause of the collision was the driver's failure to stop on the near side until there was enough room on the far side. The bus was longer than the one the driver usually drove, and I've sometimes wondered whether school buses have a prominent notice permanently displayed on the dashboard (or elsewhere in full view of the driver) reading "This vehicle is [n] feet long."
 #1635426  by Gilbert B Norman

Apparently, the Board did not think that Prospect Ave was being resurfaced at the time of the incident. Such is clearly illustrated with the photo of the scene appearing on Page 2 of the Report.

There was a drop of some 3" on each side of the tracks. I somehow would have thought that would be listed as a factor.

While of course all too many drivers went over these "bumps" as if they weren't there, I would slow down to 5 - much to the chagrin of some, which of course cost me some "honks". When you're 82yo, you just take "honks" in stride; there is always someone who thinks "move it, Grandpa".

At least my Vietnam Veteran tag gives them some idea of the age of whom is behind the wheel; if there is a Vietvet out there younger than 65 today, I'd be amazed.
 #1635439  by eolesen

John_Perkowski wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:38 pm My brothers in law live in vicinity of Cary and Round Lake. Why does not Illinois DOT build more overpasses to separate Metra from auto traffic?
Because they can't afford it?...

As long as $0.20 of every $1.00 in Illinois taxes goes towards pension liability, we have 20% less than other states to go spend on things like new overpasses.

There are a few separations on the BNSF Racetrack and the UP Geneva within the western suburbs. Traffic on the north and northwest lines really isn't high enough to demand separations.
 #1635445  by justalurker66

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:44 am Apparently, the Board did not think that Prospect Ave was being resurfaced at the time of the incident. Such is clearly illustrated with the photo of the scene appearing on Page 2 of the Report.

There was a drop of some 3" on each side of the tracks. I somehow would have thought that would be listed as a factor.
The board was fully aware of the resurfacing project and it was mentioned in the report.

The NTSB measured the vertical drop off as 1.5-2 inches (not 3) as noted on page 4 and illustrated on page 5 of the full report. The footnote on page 5 reports that the IDOT standard is 2 inches. A photograph of the measured drop (figure 7 on page 15) shows 2 inches on the day of the crash - and the taper installed post-crash.
 #1635454  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Lurker, pardon me for not reviewing the report more closely. I confess, my review was essentially focused upon the Summary where I did not note any reference to the ridges resulting from the resurfacing of Prospect Ave through the Business District.

While the board was, and I wasn't, there with a tape measure, 5mph was fast enough for me to X those ridges.

But I did notice how just about as soon as the X-ing was reopened to traffic, those ridges had been smoothed.