• Farmingdale grade crossing work

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by alcoAL

If anyone's interested, next weekend 9/17-9/18 the grade crossing at Merritts Rd in Farmingdale is going to be replaced. Finally. It's in pretty bad shape and they always seem to be ripping up the road on either side of the tracks due to water main leaks.

There are some track sections with concrete ties behind the strip of stores there. Should be some interesting work. I'll try to get some photos if I can get close enough.

by tushykushy

Oh that will cause so many problems. I live less than 1/4 mile from Beth Interlocking and let me tell you that road is an artery. You take that to get to the 135/LIE as well as you get plenty of traffic to get to Hempstead Turnpike.

Also, it's a 2 weekend job. The crossing needs to be redone like you said. You can't go any faster than 20MPH over that.

by NIMBYkiller

Is there going to be some crazy scheduling like the Roslyn crossing had?

by Crabman1130

I went over the crossing today. Track #1 has been done. The crossing was done with concrete. I don't know if this is new to the RR, but it is a very smooth crossing. Can't wait till track #2 is completed.

by alcoAL

I've seen this new crossing construction at a few crossings. One is New Highway by NY&A in Farmingdale. It'll be interesting to see how the concrete ties hold up with all the heavy truck traffic thru there.