Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by MN Jim

We were on duty - and working hard - for almost 15 hours. Some of us weren't fully recovered until Tuesday. It's too much to ask anyone to do. So yes, the reasoning is a bit selfish. But I did hear many participants say that it was a long day, and I stopped counting the number of passengers who were fast asleep in their seats on the way south. You pay $75 for a fan trip ticket, to sleep? I wouldn't, and I'm sure a decent number of fans would agree with me.

That said, if a way could be found to shorten the trip, then Canaan isn't out of the question. That's a discussion for another year.

Jim

by 4 Express

I don't think you need to have rare trackage to get a good fan trip, although it is a little exciting, a fantrip from GCT to Waterbury or wherever in territory is fine for me.
  by Budd1964

I was one of the few lucky ones to ride the trip from MN1, despite everyones complaints about the yowling at Cromwell and our very brief stay in Danbury. the trip was a resounding success. I didn't spend my entire time in MN1 and you proboably saw me walking throught the train chatting with some of the people who I knew. Remember we have to work together and stay as one , because all these stupid arguements over the photo line and the delays are just a waste of time. I'm just glad that we had a chance to go up to Canann Ct on rare trackage . The food was good, the company was great and we all had a hell of a time. Three Cheers to Metro-North and
Housatonic for putting together such a challenging trip. Lets do it again with
410 and the M1 cars. I rode the ACMU trip and I give them three stars, this trip however is worthy of Five

by njt4172

MN Jim wrote:We were on duty - and working hard - for almost 15 hours. Some of us weren't fully recovered until Tuesday. It's too much to ask anyone to do. So yes, the reasoning is a bit selfish. But I did hear many participants say that it was a long day, and I stopped counting the number of passengers who were fast asleep in their seats on the way south. You pay $75 for a fan trip ticket, to sleep? I wouldn't, and I'm sure a decent number of fans would agree with me.

That said, if a way could be found to shorten the trip, then Canaan isn't out of the question. That's a discussion for another year.

Jim
Jim,

I know you mentioned it several months ago, but what are the chances of Metro-North doing a trip out of Hoboken to Port Jervis?? I am assuming part of it would have to be in cooperation with NJT....? And if it is possible in 2006, how hard would it be to bring 2 of the F10's and the Phoebe Snow cars over for this purpose??

Thanks in advance,
Steve

by njtmnrrbuff

I wouldn't count on an excursion run by MN to Port Jervis from Hob. That is the responsibility of transit since all the Pt Jervis line trains are run by transit crews. A lot of nice scenery on that line. Maybe the excursion could start out in Suffern. I wouldn't mind seeing another excursion up the waterbury.

by MN Jim

njt4172 wrote:Jim,

I know you mentioned it several months ago, but what are the chances of Metro-North doing a trip out of Hoboken to Port Jervis?? I am assuming part of it would have to be in cooperation with NJT....? And if it is possible in 2006, how hard would it be to bring 2 of the F10's and the Phoebe Snow cars over for this purpose??

Thanks in advance,
Steve
The chances of a Port Jervis trip are slim. The complexities of dealing with NJT make the Housatonic trip look like a walk in the park. I won't say it's impossible, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

But it sure would be nice to ride in the Phoebe Snow cars on EL trackage, wouldn't it? ;-)

Jim

by Long Island 7285

Yes it would.

But how would such a trip start? will MN run a consist into NYP and all bording take place there or would all bording takeplace in NJ?

Though the trip is unlikely where would the bording take place? NYP, or in NJ. this brings some intresting questions.

by MN Jim

Long Island 7285 wrote:Yes it would.

But how would such a trip start? will MN run a consist into NYP and all bording take place there or would all bording takeplace in NJ?

Though the trip is unlikely where would the bording take place? NYP, or in NJ. this brings some intresting questions.
Well, if it were to happen - and again, it probably wouldn't - it would depart from Hoboken. There's no direct connection from the NEC to the Main/Bergen lines.

Jim

by DutchRailnut

Boardin in NYPenn would be a no go as MNCR has no dual mode equipment that works of over running third rail.

by alewifebp

Quick question. Right after we left Danbury going north as we were eating, we stopped, and I saw a few MN people outside investigating something either on the tracks or on the coach. Anyone know what happened?

by nick11a

MN Jim wrote:
njt4172 wrote:Jim,

Thanks in advance,
Steve
The chances of a Port Jervis trip are slim. The complexities of dealing with NJT make the Housatonic trip look like a walk in the park. I won't say it's impossible, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

But it sure would be nice to ride in the Phoebe Snow cars on EL trackage, wouldn't it? ;-)

Jim
Since we're dreaming up here Jim with an NJT excursion, how bout this one:

I know MN doesn't have trackage rights for this, but NJT ran an excursion like this one about 10 years ago:

Train leaves Hoboken, heads up NJT's Main Line then at Paterson takes the connecting track to go onto the NYSW. Ride that north to to Campbell Hall and join the Southern Tier to Port Jervis. Then coming back, you could either go back on the Southern Tier the whole way back to Jersey and Hoboken and the trip back would allow the train to cross the Moodna Viaduct. It would allow for rare mileage with decent to great speeds, reunite the Phoobe cars with their old tracks on the Southern Tier, and we'd all get back in time for dinner. :-D

And back to back MN F40s would be really cool and rare to see. Just gotta deal with the Comet Vs then I suppose- unless we could get those great shorliners back over here. As I said- just a pipe dream- but one that would be real cool if there was anyway of making it work.

by DutchRailnut

The short stop at Berkshire Jct was because someone reported a HEP jumper dragging on rail.
The MofE people tied it up higher with a few Tywraps.

by Terminal Proceed

OK people - enough with the dream excursions. This thread is for FAREWELL TOT HE FL9 trip. Keep it on topic please.

by Otto Vondrak

Let's keep the ideas in the realm of reality- using existing MN equipment on existing East of Hudson tracks (no "Farewell to the Put" or "Farewell to the NYWB" excursions)... and in a new thread.

-otto-