Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by RRChef

I came across this picture of 610, 617 and 602. Notice the painted numbers on 610's nose. Was this a one time thing(like many other LIRR paint schemes) or was this applied to more FA's and I just never noticed? Anyone have a clue?

by Dave Keller

This is the first time I've ever seen THAT type numbering stencil job!

Dave Keller

by lirrmike

Could it be me? Or do those numbers look they were added to the photo?

Mike

by Richard Glueck

Several paint schemes were tried out in the latter years of the FA power cars. I think this was a unique situation. I always thought that, aside from the cars getting exceptionally filthy, the FA's always looked better in the original Platinum/Blue scheme, with a yellow pilot. My HO FA will be repainted in that scheme.

by John 61

From what I read in books ( Diesels of the Sunrise Trail) is that in 1979 the # 608 and 610 were painted in two new test schemes. The scheme of the # 610 was the winner and all the rest of the powerpacks were painted in this Red/white/blue scheme. Being a test model the 610 had the numbers applied to the nose, and I guess that this wasn't the norm when the others were re- painted and lettered. The photo in the above post was probably taken around late 79 or early 80's
  by trainspot

It was a one of a kind. After the GP-38-2s came, they decided to paint the FAs in matching colors.
Management came up with the 610s scheme, and the employees designed another scheme wore by 608 briefly.
The management version won, and was modified slightly, as seen on 617, 602 in that photo. 610 was the only one to wear a number on the nose.
Email me if you'd like to see the 608, its quite interesting! There is also a photo in "Diesels of the Sunrise Trail" on p.60.

by de402

they were good looking motors, even when crudded up with bilge oil when I was old enough to chase one of them (1993?)