Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by spatcher

MetraF40C607 wrote:Yes, but 33C and 37A are both in very, very poor condition. If they ever run again, i'll be amazed. The bias out there is towards the CB&Q, so projects like the 33C get put off. 33C is in the shop right now with it's side panels off. Needs new support beams for the roof. Will it ever happen? Who knows! What I do know is when they're offered an engine they can put right into service, usually they'll take it!
Bias for the CB&Q? Not sure how having TWO restored engines for a certain railroad makes for a bias. Projects like the MILW E's get put off because people who are voluntering THIER time, would like to work on other things.
  by MetraF40C607

.........And for the first years since it's inception, the Thomas Train this years was pulled by WC 7525 and not BN 1.
  by PRRGuy

I stopped by Dixmoor today for a few quick photos...yes the 610 is still intact but now buried between other locomotives.

Ryan
  by MetraF40C607

[/quote]Bias for the CB&Q? Not sure how having TWO restored engines for a certain railroad makes for a bias. Projects like the MILW E's get put off because people who are voluntering THIER time, would like to work on other things.[/quote]

I'd rather not get into a contest, but if you look at all that has been done over the last couple of years, not much in the way of things other than C&NW and BN/CB&Q have gotten done. 33C was in the shop long before 6244 (504) was. I volunteered at the museum for a while, so I know a little bit about how things go out there and why they happen. I'm not saying anything or blaming anyone one way or another. I just know that personal opinions out there lean towards C&NW and CB&Q. Other things, if need not be touched, don't get worked on.

I'm surprised that the 610 is still intact. I know the numberboards and horn are gone. That's for sure. Thought they'da torched the poor girl by now.
  by F40CFan

The logos and everything else except the numbers were painted out at Western Ave. before they left.
  by mrconductor55

So are the others still down in East St. Louis, or have they been scrapped? Are the 610, 611, and 614 all thats left?
  by doepack

mrconductor55 wrote:So are the others still down in East St. Louis, or have they been scrapped? Are the 610, 611, and 614 all thats left?
Not sure if the others have been scrapped yet, but 611 & 614 remain stored serviceable on Metra's roster, while 610 was sold off with the others. Here's a shot of 610 taken six months ago at Dixmoor:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1192171