Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Scotty Burkhardt

So lets figure this out......

600-Helm Leasing -E. St. Louis IL
601-Helm Leasing -E. St. Louis IL
602-Helm Leasing -E. St. Louis IL
603-
604-
605-Helm Leasing -E. St. Louis IL
606-Helm Leasing -E. St. Louis IL
607-Helm Leasing -E. St. Louis IL
608-
609-Helm Leasing -E. St. Louis IL
610-National Rail -Dixmoor IL
611- Metra -Chicago IL
612-Helm Leasing -E. St. Louis IL
613-Helm Leasing -E. St. Louis IL
614- Metra -Chicago IL

by metra 613

603 604 and 608 went to hemls to put the pic on there now are from2/11/2005 there are 9 of them so someone much pick them up who knows ?

by MetraF40C607

I thought the HLCX place was in Louisanna. I heard something about them being rebuilt there for HLCX and then becoming lease engines.
  by meh

According to this KCS news release, twelve F40Cs are on lease to Kansas City Southern "to be used as center units in freight trains with a three-unit consist." This is a nine-month lease to KCS (and Tex Mex) until thirty new SD70ACe units are delivered later in 2005.

by Stephen

...twelve F40Cs are on lease to Kansas City Southern "to be used as center units in freight trains with a three-unit consist."
Sounds like an opportunity for some cool pictures.
- Stephen

by AmtrakFan

Well let's hope some can get up to Chicago soon.

by jg greenwood

I spotted what I believe to be the engines in question at the Gateway Western yard (E. St. Louis) last week. Didn't get a count on them, it was in the middle of the night and I was several tracks away from where they were located.

by jg greenwood

The following engines were at the Gateway Western (E. St. Louis) yard as of 0500 today.
601- NorthWest Suburban Mass Transit. Those in the know please enlighten me as to where/what this is.

by F40CFan

The Northwest Suburban Mass Transit District (NWSMTD) was put together as a pre-RTA entity to fund the Milwaukee Road West Line commuter service between Chicago and Elgin. It also purchased 13 of the F40Cs and around 60 bi-level coachs.

by MikeF

jg greenwood wrote:601- NorthWest Suburban Mass Transit. Those in the know please enlighten me as to where/what this is.
Locomotives 600-612 all had the NWSMTD emblem near the nose. For whatever reason, Metra didn't paint over it on 601.