Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by alcoc420

I took a ride down to Southern NJ yesterday to do a little train watching, and came up with some interesting catches. At Winslow Junction is an ex LI PC6 (FA2). It has Farr grilles which means it was 602, or 601 or 603? It is painted in NYC "cigar band" livery. It looks in rather poor shape.

If one likes Alcos, Winslow Junction is a good place to go. I saw an M420W freight go east thru Hammonton as soon as I got there at 920 AM. 6 other M420Ws, including 3 ex PW M420Rs are there. A C420 (low nose) in LV yellow/gray was parked in good condition. There was also a GP (9?) hidden behind a passenger car, and a GE (44 ton ?) being worked on outdoors. All this was adjacent to a rural road.

I waited until the 10:30 NJT to Atlantic City went by Hammonton. It had 3 or 4 cars and something like a GP40 with a Caterpillar HEP went by. I suspect it was an SD40 frame and B-B trucks. Very quick acceleration. I did not take a camera on the platform due to all the trouble I have read about NJT police.

Then I took a ride over to Pureland Industrial Park in Bridgeport (45min away), and saw some Baldwins. Now that is a sight. I think there were 7 lying around. A few were operable. This is the first time I have ever heard a Baldwin engine.

This was a good fishing trip. Worth going back.

by One of One-Sixty

Just for future reference, you can get a permit from NJT to take photos on their property, and I am not talking about just at the stations, anywhere along their line.

It is easy to get and bust of all its free and there is nothing NJT PD can do or say about it.

I'll post the info later tonight when I get back.
  by trainspot

That was the former LI 603 at Winslow. Yes, Winslow and the SMS shops are great places to see some rare power! I'm a former "islander" and now am about an hour from both. Definately worth a trip! More Baldwins are expected in the future also!