• Ex LIRR Coaches Running In Cape Cod Mass.

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by John 61

I was up in Cape Cod last month on vaction. It seems that the Cape Cod Railroad finally got the six 2700 series cars up and running. From what I noticed only three have been re-done but all are painted. The last two times I had gone to the Cape (2002 & 2003) the old cars looked in very bad shape in the Hyannis Yard.
The Cape Cod Railroad changed the interior of the cars slightly. Every other seat was removed and they were arranged to face each other. The windows were replaced with ones that open only about five or six inches. A snack counter was intalled on one end plus a soda fridge for soda and water.
The three cars that seem OOS still have the old windows, and I noticed the MTA "Watch The Gap " stickers still on some of the doors.

Photos are The "Barnstable" coach, The re-arranged interior, A car still to be worked on, and the "Rebuilt" plaque still on the door.

It was a good trip! I put a link at the very bottom of their roster.

http://www.capetrain.com/roster/index.html

by jayrmli

I was there last October, and the 3 cars were running then. They did a fairly nice job with the restoration. The seating is much more comfortable. The replacement windows look like something you would see on a bus though.

Must have been a hot ride. It was pleasant when I rode them in October. Riding in them in Summer with no AC would remind me of their last few years in service on the LIRR!

Jay
  by RetiredLIRRConductor

Thanks for the info, John61! I must visit there someday. I really liked those coaches. All the hot summer nights riding out to Montauk on them with the doors open and the breeze in your hair...ahh bygone Railroading!

by njtmnrrbuff

Those cars have been on the cape since the summer of 01. That is when I saw them.

by NIMBYkiller

Yeah, this is some pretty old news.

I take it you didn't notice the NEW YORK state seal wall paper still on the ceilings of the cars

by Long Island 7285

whats wrong with the bus windows, they dont look too bad, and i bet LIRR would prohibit them even if they have screens built...
Yes i know they will take away from the origional apearance. no need for an arguement.

the 2700s did not have AC in them? i thought thoes were the zipcars?