• ex-CNJ GP40P Units

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by cruiser939

beanbag wrote:
Uzi-Cat wrote:THe ex-CNJ geeps are all pretty much slugssQx
. The 4102 is a little peppier than the others but for the most part, they aren't rockets. The 4112 and 4105 are probably the biggest pieces of crap out of the bunch right now. Even though they suck, I will take one over a PL42 any day.
Uzi i cant help but ask you since you said this.. But if you had to choose between 4112, 4105, 4138, 4141 or any of the MN rebuilds to run for a day.. Which would you pick? Clarifier- I am not saying 4138 and 4141 suck, i just know those two being NJT FHs have gone longer than the CNJs without rebuild and NJT is basically running them til they can run no more. so thusly, im putting them in here, however if theyre actually any good i admit ill be surprised.
It wasn't an option, but I happen to know that Uzi loves the 4908. Every time we see that locomotive in Hoboken we go crazy until a foreman comes over to calm us down.
  by ACeInTheHole

cruiser939 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Uzi-Cat wrote:THe ex-CNJ geeps are all pretty much slugssQx
. The 4102 is a little peppier than the others but for the most part, they aren't rockets. The 4112 and 4105 are probably the biggest pieces of crap out of the bunch right now. Even though they suck, I will take one over a PL42 any day.
Uzi i cant help but ask you since you said this.. But if you had to choose between 4112, 4105, 4138, 4141 or any of the MN rebuilds to run for a day.. Which would you pick? Clarifier- I am not saying 4138 and 4141 suck, i just know those two being NJT FHs have gone longer than the CNJs without rebuild and NJT is basically running them til they can run no more. so thusly, im putting them in here, however if theyre actually any good i admit ill be surprised.
It wasn't an option, but I happen to know that Uzi loves the 4908. Every time we see that locomotive in Hoboken we go crazy until a foreman comes over to calm us down.
That was completely an option Cruiser, I said MN rebuilds in general, if I had wanted to say just the MN FH rebuilds, I would have. Isnt 4908 the one that had to be sent back?
  by Uzi-Cat

I think there is a photo of me somewhere doing the double thumbs up after I did the little dance I do every time I see one of those MN engines. Anyway, the 4103 is probably the engine I want to see the most of. It used to be the 4112 just because of the horn but as far as performance, forget anything wearing MN paint, most of the F40's are worse than the CNJ geeps, I don't really care for any of the 4200's either. Actually, the 4120 is a pretty good F40. I don't mind seeing that one either. I would take any of these locomotives over a PL42.... that is unless I have a 5 or 6 car train. The PL's just blow them away when it comes to power.
  by ACeInTheHole

Uzi-Cat wrote:I think there is a photo of me somewhere doing the double thumbs up after I did the little dance I do every time I see one of those MN engines. Anyway, the 4103 is probably the engine I want to see the most of. It used to be the 4112 just because of the horn but as far as performance, forget anything wearing MN paint, most of the F40's are worse than the CNJ geeps, I don't really care for any of the 4200's either. Actually, the 4120 is a pretty good F40. I don't mind seeing that one either. I would take any of these locomotives over a PL42.... that is unless I have a 5 or 6 car train. The PL's just blow them away when it comes to power.
Funny you mention 4120... because its sister 4119 pushed its train past me as I was lingering a bit after I got off my train.. and I must say, it had a hideous flat spot. I feel sorry for the poor sap who had to run that one today, that was one noisy thing. 4103 is that good by you eh? I know what you mean with the PL42s, their power, and the big trains, those things can shove. Its always a fun ride for me when one of those is pushing the train Im riding, I love the acceleration.
  by cruiser939

Uzi-Cat wrote:I think there is a photo of me somewhere doing the double thumbs up after I did the little dance I do every time I see one of those MN engines. Anyway, the 4103 is probably the engine I want to see the most of. It used to be the 4112 just because of the horn but as far as performance, forget anything wearing MN paint, most of the F40's are worse than the CNJ geeps, I don't really care for any of the 4200's either. Actually, the 4120 is a pretty good F40. I don't mind seeing that one either. I would take any of these locomotives over a PL42.... that is unless I have a 5 or 6 car train. The PL's just blow them away when it comes to power.
I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of such a photograph. Although should it exist, I would think that it was hilarious and probably taken by me..... ;)
Last edited by cruiser939 on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by nick11a

beanbag wrote:
Funny you mention 4120... because its sister 4119 pushed its train past me as I was lingering a bit after I got off my train.. and I must say, it had a hideous flat spot. I feel sorry for the poor sap who had to run that one today, that was one noisy thing. 4103 is that good by you eh? I know what you mean with the PL42s, their power, and the big trains, those things can shove. Its always a fun ride for me when one of those is pushing the train Im riding, I love the acceleration.
No offense bean bag, but, 4113 (or any other F40PH-2CAT) is just as much of a sister to 4120 as 4119 is....

I take it back: 4113 has a bigger "fuel tank." That makes her 4120's big sister... in more ways than one.
  by ACeInTheHole

nick11a wrote:
beanbag wrote:
No offense bean bag, but, 4113 (or any other F40PH-2CAT) is just as much of a sister to 4120 as 4119 is....

I take it back: 4113 has a bigger "fuel tank." That makes her 4120's big sister... in more ways than one.
Oh, yeah I see your point Nick, I was just using it in the sense of sequential numbers, I thought that was the meaning of "sister units", consecutive numbers? And Nick since you put it that way with regards to 4113, that would make 4113 4120s big brother... bahaha, just kidding, couldnt help that one. =p but seriously Nick I do understand all your points.
  by ChrisU

CNJGeep wrote:
NJTArrow2 wrote:I saw it at the MMC but didn't get a pic,did it go down the CL with the Dual mode or something?
No, a report from the field has them going to County & back. The two geeps, four IIIs, and 6053.
Thanks
  by Uzi-Cat

cruiser939 wrote: I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of such a photograph. Although should it exist, I would think that it was hilarious and probably taken by me..... ;)
Um, I know nothing of this.
  by ACeInTheHole

Uzi-Cat wrote:
cruiser939 wrote: I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of such a photograph. Although should it exist, I would think that it was hilarious and probably taken by me..... ;)
Um, I know nothing of this.
Haha Uzi hate to break it to you but i just saw none other than 4112... In the rain... Your favorite combo! Haha
Last edited by ACeInTheHole on Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by cobra30689

I heard somewhere that a couple of the Geeps have 62:15 gears rather than the typical 57:20's.....any truth to this?
  by Uzi-Cat

beanbag wrote: Haha Uzi hate to break it to you but i just saw none other than 4112... In the rain... Your favorite combo! Haha
I was deadheading back home on that train. I was surprised we made it at all.
  by ACeInTheHole

Uzi-Cat wrote:
beanbag wrote: Haha Uzi hate to break it to you but i just saw none other than 4112... In the rain... Your favorite combo! Haha
I was deadheading back home on that train. I was surprised we made it at all.
I must have seen it after you then because it was pushing on 858.. wait were you just riding the train at that point? geez no love for 4112 eh? It could be worse.. imagine the PL42s at 42 years of age (if they even make it to half that).. youll be surprised not if they make it to your destination... but if they even move at all! Hahahaha
  by Uzi-Cat

I was deadheading on the westbound trip that that train made previously to 858. Don't get me wrong, I love running the Gp40 variants as well as the F40's. I will take them any day of the week. They are just so beat right now it is sort of sad. I would love to see one with a real rebuild to see what one of those engines actually could do in perfect mechanical shape. PL42's suck.
  by ACeInTheHole

Uzi-Cat wrote:I was deadheading on the westbound trip that that train made previously to 858. Don't get me wrong, I love running the Gp40 variants as well as the F40's. I will take them any day of the week. They are just so beat right now it is sort of sad. I would love to see one with a real rebuild to see what one of those engines actually could do in perfect mechanical shape. PL42's suck.
Wow sweet ride home then if you live in the area! Haha.. If you would deadhead a GP40/F40 consist up for 854 (which is the train i use on Wenesdays) i would think you are god... This is the third straight PL42 on this one.. Not to mention 6055 and 6572 both have horrible flatspots, im pretty sure its not supposed to make the whole coach ride rough as it is here in 6572.. I moved out of 6055 because of the racket it was making in the quiet cab and was treated to this rough riding mess, I have a headache! How do you live when you get a set fresh off the ACL?! I hope they give pay raises for those!