• EWR ticket question

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by JoeG

I have a monthly ticket from Sloatsburg to NYP (via Secaucus). If I want to go to EWR from Secaucus, I assume my ticket would be good but I figure I'd have to pay the airport surcharge. How does that work? Would the conductor collect it as a stepup, would I pay at the airport station, or would I get a ticket from a NJT vending machine? If I used the machine, what would I enter on the keypad? Do conductors have the magnetic tickets that I believe are used at the airport?

by ericware

I have done it. I just pay the access at the airport.

by Irish Chieftain

AFAICR, there are TVMs on the railroad side of the turnstiles, where you can buy a step-up fare to get through to the monorail. Try running your monthly pass through the turnstile to see if it'll let you through, though...or if you don't want to risk losing your monthly to computer glitches, I advise asking a conductor.
  by Butlershops

JoeG wrote:Would the conductor collect it as a stepup,
No.
JoeG wrote: would I pay at the airport station,
Yes. At a TVM.
JoeG wrote:or would I get a ticket from a NJT vending machine?
Yes. At the airport.
JoeG wrote:If I used the machine, what would I enter on the keypad?
There is a Newark Airport Access fee listed in the station codes. It is $5.
JoeG wrote:Do conductors have the magnetic tickets that I believe are used at the airport?

No. It's all done through the TVMs.
  by NJ3rdRAIL

Hi- pardon my ignorance but would you clarify the statement about a EWR access fee? Is that access fee relative to a monthly NJT ticket?

I am planning to take NJT from EWR to New Brunswick on Friday. It was my understanding that I just hop on the monorail at the aiport and it drops me at the EWR rail station where I can buy a tix to New Brunswick one way, off peak from a machine. Is there another step/fee I need to do before getting on the train?

Thanks for your assistance.

by Jtgshu

What you will do, is like you said, take the monorail over to the airport. When you get to the Airport stop, you MUST buy a ticket. There are turnstyles, which are where you pay the access fee. When you buy the ticket to New Brunswick, it will be the fare from Newark Penn station PLUS five dollars (EWR access fee) The ticket is magnetically encoded with the EWR fee, and you put in to a slot in the turnstyle and it reads it and then opens the gate. You take your ticket after you pass through the turnstyle, because you will use it on the train. The trainman will come and collect your ticket for New Brunswick on the train.

Thats it!
  by AKelley728

NJ3rdRAIL wrote:I can buy a tix to New Brunswick one way, off peak from a machine.
Just adding to what JT said, there is no such thing as a one way, off peak ticket.

All one way tickets are 'peak' tickets.

There is also no such thing as a round-trip (off-peak) ticket to/from the airport. If you want EWR as a origination or termination point, you can only buy a one-way.

However, if you're traveling during off-peak times to the airport one can save a few dollars by purchasing an off-peak round-trip ticket to one stop beyond the airport (Newark Penn or Elizabeth depending on which direction you're coming from), then just purchasing a $5 Airport access ticket once you're at the EWR station. (This also works during peak times too from NYP - buying two peak tickets to one stop beyond the airport and then paying the access fee - you don't save as much, but it's still a dollar or two.)
Last edited by AKelley728 on Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by NJ3rdRAIL

I thank you for the 411- I think I can handle that. I will check out the rates from New Bruns to NYP for the time I need to get there to see if it is beneficial to do the "one stop beyond" maneuver.

by NY&LB

You can save $4.00 (each way) by taking the 62 bus from any airport terminal to Newark Penn Station....more trains stop there than at "EWR" and you could even take a CNJ train (Opps...Raritan Valley Line). Bus runs about every 15 min; fare is $1.00, chech NJTs web site for full schedule.
  by ajt

The 62 bus fare is $1.10, not $1.00. It is exact fare.

by drewh

Unless you have time I wouldn't recomend the bus - can take up to a 1/2 hour or more depending on traffic and which terminal you are headed to.

The savings for buying a ticket past the airport + the airport fee only seems to matter from NYC. Looking at the fares from all other NEC locations, there is no additional surcharge except for the $5. Thats a good point though about off-peak use.

BTW, I think the code for the airport fee is 999.

by ajt

I'd use 099; 999 will get you a Hoboken ticket.

by NJ3rdRAIL

THX for the info. I took NJT from New Bruns to EWR- ticketed round trip off peak for $8.45 to NYP but got off at EWR). I met my husband just off his flight right in the monorail, oops "Airtrain" terminal so I didnt even have to pay the $5 access fee. He purchased a one way back to New Brunswick and we hopped on together without incident.

I agree, do not think I saved much if any $ ticketing "past" EWR but I was expecting to pay $10.80 with 2 one ways instead of the off peak round trip- so I was a happy camper anyway!

Great setup to the Airport. I think next time we fly together, we will hop the train from New Brunswick instead of getting car service to EWR. Much cheaper and certainly more scenic than the Turnpike whose rates are beyond ridiculous anymore.

by AKelley728

NJ3rdRAIL wrote:THX for the info. I took NJT from New Bruns to EWR- ticketed round trip off peak for $8.45 to NYP but got off at EWR). I met my husband just off his flight right in the monorail, oops "Airtrain" terminal so I didnt even have to pay the $5 access fee. He purchased a one way back to New Brunswick and we hopped on together without incident.

I agree, do not think I saved much if any $ ticketing "past" EWR but I was expecting to pay $10.80 with 2 one ways instead of the off peak round trip- so I was a happy camper anyway!
NJ3rdRail: Why did you ticket your round-trip off-peak to NYP? You could've just ticketed it to Newark Penn and paid only $5.80 vs. the $8.55 you paid for a New Brunswick to NYP round-tripper.

by drewh

Off peak RT NB to NWK is $8.75. Think you mis-read the fares. OW NB-NWK is $5.80, NYP OW is $8.55.