Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by SeldenJrFireman

In my auto class, there is a valve off of an engine that is quit large. The valve stem is about 18'' to 24'' long, and the face is about 7'' in diameter, and is about 10 pounds. My teacher asked me if it could have come out of a Diesel engine from a train. I don't thinks so, being that it is way to large. Any Ideas on what it could be from?

Mike

by Richard Glueck

It could be off a Diesel locomotive Prime mover, but I'm guessing it's off a marine Diesel.

by alcoc420

I am no expert, but I doubt it is from a locomotive prime mover since the diameter of the cylinders themselves is about 10 inches. Figuring two valves per cylinder, the diameter of locomotive diesel valves should be around 2 to 3 inches.

by Paul

I guess I missed this question altogether. Must be I need new glasses or I am having way too many senior moments. I will answer you question about the mystery valve with data as soon as I can remember where I put all my various engine manuals. I can tell you this: at seven inches diameter I doubt this valve came from a medium speed (locomotive) engine. I largest bore that I know of on a locomotive application (except the new EMD 265H and GE 7HDL) was on the Baldwin 600 series engine. They had a bore and stroke of 12.750" X 15.5". Alco 244 & 251 and GE 7FDLs were 9" X 10." and the Alco 539 was 12.5" X 13". All these engines are four valve per head. Two intake and two exhaust.
Consider this...the Ford 429 Super Cobra Jet car engine had an intake valve diameter of 2.25"! The valves in my 351W are 2.02" intake and 1.98"
exhaust.

by Nasadowsk

I'm guessing marine diesel or large earthbound unit. It's creepy how big marine units get - the world's most efficient diesel is a marine unit that redlines at like 200rpm and very big. And over 50% thermodynamically efficient!

by Paul

No, even bigger!

Total engine weight: 2300 tons  (The crankshaft alone weighs 300 tons.)
Length: 89 feet
Height: 44 feet
Maximum power: 108,920 hp at 102 rpm 
Maximum torque: 5,608,312 lb/ft at 102rpm 

by jogden

what on earth would an engine of that size do? that is monsterously huge!

by SeldenJrFireman

They are putting those engines in the new super container ships. One of the discovery channels (IO-170) Shows the engines being put into the ship. The prgram has been on the past few days so you can probably still catch it.