Railroad Forums 

• Engine changes

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1637951  by RandallW

I'm thinking the following trains get an engine change en route:
  • Carolinian (Washington DC)
  • Cardinal (Washington DC)
  • Crescent (Washington DC)
  • Lake Shore Limited (Albany NY)
  • Palmetto (Washington DC)
  • Pennsylvanian (Philadelphia PA)
  • Silver Meteor (Washington DC)
  • Silver Star (Washington DC)
  • Vermonter (New Haven CT)
  • Northeast Regionals in Virginia (Washington DC with two southbound weekday and one southbound Sunday service that originate in Springfield MA also changing engines in New Haven CT)
Am I missing any service from this list?
 #1637954  by twropr

The ADIRONDACK and MAPLE LEAF generally change power at Albany-Rensselaer because the Canadians
are not qualified to maintain the dual mode P32AC-DMs.
Andy
 #1637956  by STrRedWolf

twropr wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:42 pm The ADIRONDACK and MAPLE LEAF generally change power at Albany-Rensselaer because the Canadians
Andy
That makes me wonder, are they qualified to work on the ALC-44's (aka the Siemens Chargers)?
 #1637967  by electricron

STrRedWolf wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:26 pm That makes me wonder, are they qualified to work on the ALC-44's (aka the Siemens Chargers)?
VIA will have brand new Siemens Venture trainsets with SC-42 Siemens Charger locomotives long before Amtrak's Empire service Venture trains will have ALC-42E Siemens Charger locomotives. They will also have cab cars on their trainsets as well.
Will they be very similiar? Yes.
Will they be identical? Who knows?
 #1637970  by MACTRAXX

twropr wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:42 pm The ADIRONDACK and MAPLE LEAF generally change power at Albany-Rensselaer because the Canadians
Andy
Andy - NO. What is YOUR source for this misinformation?
VIA Rail Canada has their own P42 locomotives along with maintenance facilities in both Toronto and
Montreal - they maintain Amtrak's P42's as they have over time...The only difference is the third rail or
straight electric capability that the dual modes have which is a moot point not being used outside of
the New York City area anyway...I am looking forward for RJ to chime in on this specifically...

The MAIN reason for changing locomotives at Albany-Rensselaer is to keep the fleet of 20 Empire Service
dual mode P32's on the Hudson Line between ALB and NYP where they are needed the most whenever
it is possible...This was the same for the even-smaller FL9 fleet when they were in service...

Using an Amtrak timetable for mileages if these locomotives are used on Empire Service trains west of
Albany-Rensselaer: To Toronto would be 403 miles one way or 806 miles round trip. That locomotive
would go west late morning then overnight in Toronto and then return the next day in early evening -
provided that there are no delays or other complications that could occur during this period...

Even running to Niagara Falls - which is 320 miles one way or 640 miles round trip from ALB - takes
quite a bit of time along with an overnight turn - I believe that Amtrak is reluctant to have to send
the dual modes west of ALB unless it is necessary...

Montreal again would be another overnight turn - 241 miles one way or 482 miles round trip from
Albany - northbound early afternoon from ALB returning late afternoon the next day - still more
than 24 hours in total time of a dual mode unit not being available for service south of ALB...

Coming back to memory is a past situation concerning locomotive maintenance: Trains #63/#64
"The Maple Leaf" was the last stand for the F40PH locomotives before retirement between Albany-
Rensselaer and Toronto - with the main reason being VIA's capability to maintain them alongside
their own F40s at their Toronto Maintenance Centre...Must mention this in fairness...MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
 #1637973  by R36 Combine Coach

140 series Regionals change at New Haven.

On the Lake Shore, does the P42 run through on 448/449 while a P32 does 48/49?

Even with the Shore Line East fully wired, could it still be possible to have Regionals broken up into two
trains, with the front section with the ACS-64 running to Boston and the rear section split to run inland?
 #1637974  by MACTRAXX

RW: How about PAST engine change locations over Amtrak's history?
I will mention these two that I am familiar with:

1: Harrisburg, PA...Changing locomotives ended on trains going east and west across PA beginning with
the April 27, 1980 schedules affecting trains such as #40 and #41 The Broadway Limited...At that point
the engine change was moved to Philadelphia and the Washington section ran PHL-WAS only...
Also during 1980 The "Pennsylvanian" #46-#47 began operation between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
(353 miles) running diesels through on the 104 mile PHL-HAR electrified segment...

2: Croton-Harmon, NY...Some Empire Service trains (primarily during Amtrak's first decade) changed
locomotives there going to and from Grand Central Terminal initially using third rail locomotives and
then FL9 dual modes...This engine change point would gradually be eliminated and moved north to
Albany-Rensselaer where it remains today...MACTRAXX
 #1637975  by Railjunkie

Andy
Sorry Andy I personally have run 700s to Montreal and have seen them go through on AMT63. The only things that get done in Canada are brake tests and inspections. The boys at the MMC in Montreal also take care of the train control inspections while that is handled once AMT64 crosses the boarder at NFL. IF anything comes up sideways during an inspection Albany will drive to either spot to bring parts if needed if its a ailing dual mode. Same for coaches. I have also done a light engine move to MTR to get a train. That will be included in the book if I ever write it, it wasn't so much the ride it was who I was working with and what happened after we got there.
 #1637999  by STrRedWolf

Railjunkie wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:50 am Sorry Andy I personally have run 700s to Montreal and have seen them go through on AMT63. The only things that get done in Canada are brake tests and inspections. The boys at the MMC in Montreal also take care of the train control inspections while that is handled once AMT64 crosses the boarder at NFL. IF anything comes up sideways during an inspection Albany will drive to either spot to bring parts if needed if its a ailing dual mode. Same for coaches. I have also done a light engine move to MTR to get a train. That will be included in the book if I ever write it, it wasn't so much the ride it was who I was working with and what happened after we got there.
Sometimes you gotta write when you can. I have an iPad Pro and a keyboard case, but a regular iPad + keyboard case will do. Wrote my first novel while on the MARC train waiting for my stop 30 min away, plus some time on the NEC and Pennsy during conventions. Second novel's on the above equipment, but largely at home with some stints on the NEC, MARC, Pennsy, and lately the LSL and Cap Limited.
 #1638089  by CSRR573

Railjunkie wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:50 am
Sorry Andy I personally have run 700s to Montreal and have seen them go through on AMT63. The only things that get done in Canada are brake tests and inspections. The boys at the MMC in Montreal also take care of the train control inspections while that is handled once AMT64 crosses the boarder at NFL. IF anything comes up sideways during an inspection Albany will drive to either spot to bring parts if needed if its a ailing dual mode. Same for coaches. I have also done a light engine move to MTR to get a train. That will be included in the book if I ever write it, it wasn't so much the ride it was who I was working with and what happened after we got there.
The Downeaster is the same way, just brake tests and inspections. Also, Ive driven up to Brunswick to fix stuff, down to New Haven to fix stuff and even up to St. Albans to get there and find out it was already fixed
 #1638356  by Red Wing

electricron wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:00 pm VIA will have brand new Siemens Venture trainsets with SC-42 Siemens Charger locomotives long before Amtrak's Empire service Venture trains will have ALC-42E Siemens Charger locomotives. They will also have cab cars on their trainsets as well.
Will they be very similiar? Yes.
Will they be identical? Who knows?
Saw one of these train sets in Quebec City on Monday
 #1638398  by electricron

Red Wing wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:05 am Saw one of these train sets in Quebec City on Monday
Since Amtrak runs zero trains to Quebec City, I highly suggest you saw a VIA train.
 #1638553  by Red Wing

And that was a retort to you saying Via would have them 1st and was verifying your observations. Your quote:

VIA will have brand new Siemens Venture trainsets with SC-42 Siemens Charger locomotives long before Amtrak's Empire service Venture trains will have ALC-42E Siemens Charger locomotives. They will also have cab cars on their trainsets as well.
 #1638576  by electricron

VIA should have their entire Venture car trainsets by the end of 2025. They already have received 10 of 32 in Canada as of January 2024.
Amtrak is scheduled to get their ALC-42E Venture trainsets between 2025 and 2029 for NEC regional services.