Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1622761  by LB

Does the LIRR still print timetables for employees or have they migrated to a tablet based system that draws from a central database?
 #1622765  by Kelly&Kelly

The MTA is trying to move to a tablet/Internet based Timetable and Rule Book. The latest hurdle was fabricating and installing stainless steel folding tables in the older equipment to provide room for enginemen to place it where it can be easily referenced.
 #1622774  by LB

Thanks, looks like the change over is in the works.
 #1622785  by workextra

It’s most likely coming at some point.
But I think there is a few more personalities in play that may be against it for their own reasons. Good or bad to which I don’t know.

I also would assume some kind of FRA waiver on these tablets will be required as engineers would be utilizing these electronic devices while at the controls of a moving train.

Overall I think the compromise will be made and the program tested, then rolled out.
 #1622904  by Kelly&Kelly

Several years ago, the FRA was completely opposed to any type of electronic documentation. I don't know if that has changed. I do know the LIRR is spending a fortune on fabricating the stainless folding tablet tables for the old MUs.
 #1623097  by northpit

Kelly&Kelly wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:26 pm Several years ago, the FRA was completely opposed to any type of electronic documentation. I don't know if that has changed. I do know the LIRR is spending a fortune on fabricating the stainless folding tablet tables for the old MUs.
spending a fortune? it will look like something made in 8th grade shop class.an opinion based on my previous 35 years of employment
 #1623101  by workextra

It was a matter of time before the electronic device ban would be loosened to permit “company issued”
Devices.

The real question becomes is how much will it cost to equip 3000+/- employees with a device that will meet both the company and FRA requirements for such devices.

Once initially equipped, I do believe that
I overall the program will be a savings.
The amount of paper timetables printed, rule books and GN, and other papers that can be sent digitally and electronically signed off on and the highlight of the change is shown with the GN reference.
All that paper printing whether or not it’s printed in house or at a printing company. It’s got to cost a fortune. It’s definitely not being shipped as media mail either.

LIRRs refusing to test this now is more a personal matter by decision makers than anything else.
There’s likely several folks left who want to keep it old school for a reason.
Does anyone here know why?
 #1623191  by krispy

workextra wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:52 pm
LIRRs refusing to test this now is more a personal matter by decision makers than anything else.
There’s likely several folks left who want to keep it old school for a reason.
Does anyone here know why?
There was some abuse in the beginning of the cell phone era, coupled with yes then no in it's usage, but it has taken hold. But those lessons do remain with some, and others may recall when we didn't need it and got by fine without it. Same thing with the C-Card, it took a few key retirements before it was ditched in favor of Rule 241 done verbally. But my timetable is grown to monstrous proportions since the C-Card era, and I'm lucky I don't have to carry the Amtrak book or a THEM manual. I dread having to swap out pages from the first 100 pages of the timetable as I have to take it apart and pull out a chunk in order to hit that, as opposed to simply unsnapping the rings and swapping out pages. I don't know how the C&E who have to carry all of that crap deal with that every time a new GN comes out.

In aviation once upon a time, pilots were burdened with carrying several bags of publications and were over time permitted to swap it out for an "EFB", or a tablet used as a Electronic Flight Bag. So, as long as the crew had 2 working EFBs, the colossal waste of paper could stop. If they can do that in aviation, then hopefully we'll get that at some point too.
 #1623224  by BuddR32

northpit wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:38 pm
Kelly&Kelly wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:26 pm Several years ago, the FRA was completely opposed to any type of electronic documentation. I don't know if that has changed. I do know the LIRR is spending a fortune on fabricating the stainless folding tablet tables for the old MUs.
spending a fortune? it will look like something made in 8th grade shop class.an opinion based on my previous 35 years of employment
Its really only 80 M3s. They're all done already. It wasn't so much for any electronic tablet, but for the fact that the ACSES ADU being where Engineers have put their timetable since the M1.
 #1624268  by Kelly&Kelly

The FRA along with traditional LIRR operating management shunned electronic devices for reliability reasons.

Conventional thinking as that manual block operations were to critical to be dependent on a Chinese battery powered device. The risk to life was too great.

Nobody wants to step up and be the name connected with a fatal tragedy caused by their permitting such a degradation in dependability. If safety is truly first, the safest course must be followed. Portable digital data devices do not fulfill that requirement as do hard printed materials.
 #1624271  by Head-end View

FRA and LIRR management might be right. Earlier today, the people in my doctor's office could not find any record in their computer system of two messages I had left for the doctor in recent weeks. So there you are.

For better or for worse everything in life seems to be gradually transitioning to electronics. Whether it's reliable or not doesn't seem to always be part of the equation, at least in my profession where reliability is essential. :(
 #1624280  by RandallW

In my profession eliminating the person is a significant improvement to the reliability of the system, as a failure to rapidly and reliably shoot down a missile is expected to cause death and people have been shown to be really poor at shooting down fast moving things especially when on a moving platform (like a ship).