Railroad Forums 

• East West tracks through Bordentown

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1363257  by philipmartin

Here's a link to the Wiki article on Bordentown and Conrail Shared Assets. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bordentown_Secondary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I worked a tower further north on the Delaware river in the early 1960s, "G" tower in Belvidere, and used to hear the operator at "BO," Bordentown, on the PRR back roads dispatcher's line, which we shared.
You might look up the Camden & Amboy RR on Wiki for information on that historic line, which went through Bordentown.
 #1363648  by pumpers

Yes, it's the old Camden and Amboy that goes right through downtown Bordentown. They have slowly been losing customers (a big cranberry processing plant closed within the last few years) but I do think it is still kicking - just don't know any details. The track ends not too far before Robbinsville, IIRC. Jim S
 #1363652  by amtrakhogger

pumpers wrote:Yes, it's the old Camden and Amboy that goes right through downtown Bordentown. They have slowly been losing customers (a big cranberry processing plant closed within the last few years) but I do think it is still kicking - just don't know any details. The track ends not too far before Robbinsville, IIRC. Jim S
The track ends in Hamilton at Klockner Rd. Conrail abandoned up from there to Windsor a few years back.
 #1363894  by philipmartin

Here's some trivia I came across about the Camden & Amboy in Wiki: "November 8, 1833 – United States – The carriages of a Camden & Amboy passenger train derail in the New Jersey countryside between Spotswood and Hightstown when an axle breaks on a car due to an overheated journal. One car overturns, killing two people and injuring fifteen. Among the injured is Cornelius Vanderbilt who will later head the New York Central Railroad. Uninjured in the coach ahead is former U.S. President John Quincy Adams, who continues on to the nation's capital the next day."