Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by jtr1962

Tasteless, yes, and certainly not something that any normal person would want to wear. However, as far as I can tell something like this falls within eBay's guidelines. What's really sick about the whole situation is that Mr. Ferguson is enjoying a lifetime of free room and board courtesy of the taxpayer instead of rotting away in an unmarked grave. Too bad the people who caught him didn't use his own weapon to shoot him "while trying to escape". I think that would have been a better outcome for all concerned.

by li7039

what m3s were it this shooting

by Dave Keller

Wow!

That's certainly something to bid on! What tasteless people. What idiots, whose purchases keep someone like that in business!!

Dave Keller

by Lirr168

jtr1962 wrote: However, as far as I can tell something like this falls within eBay's guidelines.
Unfortunately you are right, it is completely in line with their rules.

by RRChef

I find it sad and unfortunate that there are people out there who make a living off of other's misery. Sadder still are the misguided who buy this crap. Someone should send this to Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy and let her have a shot at them.

by doepack

I don't know what's worse... some crackpot that's actually trying to make a profit from this, or ebay's liberal policies that allow this sort of garbage to be auctioned. Apparently, qualities such as decency, good taste, and sensitivity are not among ebay's definition of their "guidelines". Utterly shameful...

by 7 Train

li7039 wrote:what m3s were it this shooting
9891-2 (later 9945-6)

by RetiredLIRRConductor

Yes 7 train is correct the car Numbers are now 9946, and 9945. They were renumbered after the incident. Car 9946 being the car it happened in.

by Clemuel

I wish people would get this upset when Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy, whose campain was paid for basically by the UN, fights to keep any law abiding rider from carrying a gun to defend his fellow passengers from nuts like that...

by Lirr168

Clemuel wrote:I wish people would get this upset when Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy, whose campain was paid for basically by the UN, fights to keep any law abiding rider from carrying a gun to defend his fellow passengers from nuts like that...
Amen to that. If it weren't for McCarthy and all her ACLU cronies, companies like this would not exist; freedom of speech/expression should only go so far, and when something is as offensive as this it ought to be taken off the market, not auctioned. Just my two cents...

by pgengler

Lirr168 wrote:freedom of speech/expression should only go so far, and when something is as offensive as this it ought to be taken off the market, not auctioned.
I totally disagree (and I say this as a card-carrying ACLU member). There are and should be certain limits to free speech (libel and slander come immediately to mind), but just because you find something offensive does not mean that it shouldn't be allowed. If anything, that's the sort of speech that deserves more defense/protection, because it's the most likely to come under attack.

I also think it's worth noting that the pin describes the guy as a "psycho," not a "hero" or some other word with a positive connotation. I don't particularly see this as somehow glorifying the event, just noting its significance, even if it is in a strange way. Maybe I'm missing something, but I fail to see what's particularly disturbing or offensive about this.

by badneighbor

I think the issue is that this society would support a person trying to make money commemorating a tragic crime. But if selling this is bad, then are all the 9-11 commemorative things that have been marketed also bad? I think this pin is tasteless, and won't go in my collection. But people have a right to say or sell anything in this country. Heck, I despise this but burning the Stars & Stripes is legal. I think it is a real sign of how ridiculous the liberalism in our country has become.

by badneighbor

By the way, we may be getting off topic... that would not be politically correct here... :wink:

by Lirr168

badneighbor wrote:I think the issue is that this society would support a person trying to make money commemorating a tragic crime. But if selling this is bad, then are all the 9-11 commemorative things that have been marketed also bad? I think this pin is tasteless, and won't go in my collection. But people have a right to say or sell anything in this country. Heck, I despise this but burning the Stars & Stripes is legal. I think it is a real sign of how ridiculous the liberalism in our country has become.
If this product offered any suggestion that it was memorializing the victims it would it would be a totally different story, but this company is simply exploiting a tragedy for its own benefit.

btw, pgengler, I agree with you that not everything I (or even a few people) find offensive should be banned, but in cases like this were the product is generally regarded as disrespectful, I feel that there ought to be some restrictions. Maybe I was a bit hasty is suggesting they be shut down, but they should not be allowed to be selling their product on eBay; would you like to see white supremacist propoganda being sold on there? I sincerely doubt it, but if you allow crap like these buttons to be sold, the other stuff will not be far behind.