Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by pineywoodsman

I've been hearing reports of stuck trains on LIRR commuters, either Amtrak or LIRR, blocked one or two of the Penn station tunnels during last Monday's rush hour.
Anyway, it seems to explain some oddities I saw while coming back on the 6:49pm westbound from Stony Brook.
First, when I got on at Smithtown, the train was empty. That's a rare thing for the 6:49pm, which is usually crowded with SUNY students. Going out east in the morning, the 8:35am eastbound diesel was standing room only, no seats, until Syosset where some got off and I managed to be one of the lucky ones to get a seat. Then practically the whole train emptied at Stony Brook. Someone told me that PJ service was suspended earlier in the morning due to a bomb scare.
Anyway, getting back to the ride home, we had to wait 3 times for about 10-15 min each, west of Smithtown, Kings Park, and east of Northport, for late eastbound trains. Should've known something was up, and that was it. We arrive at Huntington approx 25 min late, fortunately they held the westbound electric. That ran about 15 min late into Hicksville.
About an hour to get from Smithtown to Huntington. And that's with subtracting the usual wait time!
I did see a Bi-level train, complete with C-3's and a DE engine, attached to one of the work or "rescue" engines on the siding east of Hicksville.
Is this one of trains that got stuck?
  by Lirr168

pineywoodsman wrote:I did see a Bi-level train, complete with C-3's and a DE engine, attached to one of the work or "rescue" engines on the siding east of Hicksville.
Is this one of trains that got stuck?
A DE broken down?! I don't believe it :P