• Dinky Suspended A.M. of 6/30

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by JLo

Bus service today due to mechanical problems with the Dinky. Anyone with conspiracy theories about its replacement by BRT, now is you chance.
  by nick11a

JLo wrote:Bus service today due to mechanical problems with the Dinky. Anyone with conspiracy theories about its replacement by BRT, now is you chance.
Haha. You see, you can't beat the arrows.
  by Silverliner II

Both days, I came through Princeton Jct during the midday and saw the sign posted on the Dinky platform stating that the train was out of service and shuttle buses were operating.

And the single Arrow was sitting locked in "The Dinky Cage" east of the station, all doors wide open....

Not to worry friends.....like the Phoenix, the Arrow will rise again!

;o)
Joe

by TGIV

track work ties, surfacing and brush cutting 8:50 to 3:45 M-f until 7/16

by BlockLine_4111

Isn't NJT looking to pull the plug (i.e. the overhead juice) on this line sometime in the future ?

by Irish Chieftain

Where did you hear that?

Or is that just a rumor that was driven (pardon the pun) by the DMU tests?

by BlockLine_4111

Yes potential rumour generated by the DMU thread.

by hsr_fan

I believe the only reason the "Dinky" line was chosen for the DMU demo is that the DMU is not equipped with cab signals, and the Princeton branch is NJ Transit's only dark territory, where the lack of cab signals is not an issue.
  by jspsh

I went by the grade crossing by Faculty Drive in Princeton and saw NJ Transit crews fixing up on the tracks.

They better not replace the Dinky line.

by TAMR213

Thier not. Just trackwork. I don't know why everyone seems to be freaking out that thier going to replace the Dinky. Do you really think NJT would do that, even with preasure from NIMBYs?

by hsr_fan

I see no reason to replace the Dinky. Why would they spend a lot of money to replace what works well with something totally new that would perform the same function, probably less efficiently?

by JLo

Just look at what NJT did with its "upgrades" to the Newark Subway. Longer run times, longer dwell times, slower service all around, lost ridership. NJT--The Way to Go (NOT).

by Irish Chieftain

The horrid thing about the NCS situation is that the new LRVs are actually faster than the PCCs—but the signal system hiccups prevent operation in that manner. Another case of fixing what wasn't broken. HBLRT operates in a similar manner, unnecessarily, apart from between Liberty State Park and Bayonne.